Picture size

John Bonnett

The first set of pictures I posted were 98kb each. I didn't notice what the limit was then as I always reduce to "Small" before uploading but just now I've seen that the limit is 20kb which is too small to be of any use in showing detail. Have the rules changed this afternoon?

John

John,

It looks like the forum has been setup to limit the size of "attachments" you are allowed to post.

The total size of all "attachments" is currently set to 500Kb, a limit you have inadvertantly discovered.

To get around the limit, you should either be able to use a 3rd party photo hosting service like Flikr, or you should be able to post photos to your "Gallery" and then reference them in your posts.

Please bear with us on this, its a learning exercise for us too.

John,

It looks like the forum has been setup to limit the size of "attachments" you are allowed to post.

The total size of all "attachments" is currently set to 500Kb, a limit you have inadvertantly discovered.

To get around the limit, you should either be able to use a 3rd party photo hosting service like Flikr, or you should be able to post photos to your "Gallery" and then reference them in your posts.

Please bear with us on this, its a learning exercise for us too.

Thank you Kevin. I'll look at the other ways you've suggested.

Hi John, as Kevin quite rightly says, the filesize is set to 500k maximum which should be plenty big enough for most photos.  We can increase this but as with all Forums there is a maximum limit to the overall size of the Forum and if we allow very large images to be uploaded then our 'allowance' will soon be used up costing the Club more money! Thanks for your understanding :-).

Admin (anon),

Please can you clarify if it is 500kb per picture or 500kb per thread.  If the latter, then how do we show project  progress and the "Show us your Car" thread?  Using a third party photo hosting service may not work for all members and will make the thread very bitty.

Mark.

The way I read it is that each user has a 500kb limit for all the photo attachments they add on the forum. You could have one 500kb file, or 500 1kb files or any mix inbetween.

The way around it is to post photos to the gallery and then reference them there using the IMG tags.

Why oh why is everything we do here sub-standard?  The old forum was user friendly but unreliable and slow, then we go for months and months with no forum then when we do get one it is incapable of doing what we want with the capacity for uploading full size photos easily without the need for opening third party accounts here there and everywhere.  I'm sorry for sounding -/ve guys, but I'm done with this, all I want is a nice easy to use forum with a great bunch of guys and well you are a great bunch but this forum isn't great to use....

I give up.

Mark

Mark, All,

The software that runs this forum is one of the best forum software platforms there is, and it is used by many Clubs and organisations without too much drama.

The TR-Register forum also runs this forum software without an major issues.

Like with all new "toys" it takes a little time to learn some of the quirks. 

In the case of IP board, the quirk is posting photos.

If you embed a photo by uploading it directly into the posting it will display as a thumbnail, but will enlarge to full size once you click on it.

Photos uploaded in this way will also contribute to your 500Kb attachment limit, so it may not be the best way to load pictures.

By hosting your photos elsewhere and linking to them using the "Image" button in the bar at the top of the edit window you can display a picture full size in the thread.

You can link in photos from anywhere on the internet, including elsewhere on the TSSC website - such as from the GALLERY, which is part of the forum software.

http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/gallery/

Load all your photos to the gallery, then click on the one you want to reference to open it in the full display window, then right click on it to get the direct link address, and then go back to the thread where you want to post the picture and click on the "image" button and paste the address into the pop-up box presented.  Job done.

This picture is one I've linked to from the gallery - posted by Vitesse203.

Direct link

gallery_58_9_39454.jpg

"Medium" size link

med_gallery_58_9_39454.jpg

Sorry, some might find it a bit of a pfaff, but its the way it is with this software.

The same technique can be used on other Triumph Clubs forums to do the same thing so that many pictures can be posted in the same post, rather than a single image at the end of the post.

• Like 2

I suggest everyone uses the likes of imgur.com...  as you can upload to your hearts content and just link using the very easy to copy&paste URls that then bring the photo into the threads...  I have so many pics up on imgur.com from the last forum...  might have to dig them out for nostalgia LOL

I'm not great with computers and rarely turn ours on. There seems no way to do any of this from an iPad, well that's if I understood any of what was said above. I use Pistonheads forum and its easy with an option box under the text to add an image. and hey presto it works. I understand the need to preserve storage etc. but this is really overly complicated. I opened a Photobucket and deleted it within 2 hrs due to not being able to link across. Please no more pictures of Cookies cars outside his house!!!!! joking.

500kB?   That's a pathetic total, only ten pics of 50kB each, which is small.

Yes, that's the limit on the TRR site, which uses the same software as this, but surely that limit is settable?  It's a real bore, as today I needed to post a 47kB pic, but had no room, again!   To get my new pic up, I must delete other pics, that I have posted to help others, which mean they can't be there in the future.

In days of yore, when 'bandwidth' (whatever that is) was precious, and storage expensive, such a low limit was acceptable, even necessary, but it ain't so these days.  In Another Place (dare I say "Sideways"?) there is NO LIMIT on the number or total size of all your pics.

And in a USA Place, the Totally Triumph Net, little used now that Jeff McNeal went to the Dark Side and bought himself a 5 litre Corvette, there was automatic compression of any pic that was uploaded and was above a certain pixel size.  Very useful, and it prevented those ENORMOUS pics that only show the front left overrider and you have to scroll about to see any more.

JOhn

PS Just been to the Gallery, and that says the limit is "Unlimited" - with max picture size, no more than 20MEGAbytes.  That is just gigantic!  Can we please have some realistic limts?  

If you go to my gallery - I can't see how to put pics from there into this post - there are two pics, one less than 200kB, the other over 2.5Megabytes.    You really, really don't ned the second size ona message board.    640x480 pixels is a fine size and will be about 200kB.   J.

John, its taken a lot of effort to get the TSSC COM to get the message board going. Its a learning experience for all of us, and there are foibles to overcome.

The TR Register has a 1.9MB limit on forum image posting, so not even four times what we have. The 500kB limit is an out of the box limit, and will need to be addressed in the future.

Posting photos in line from an external hosting site, including your gallery, is explained above in this thread, its the same technique for most other forums, including CT and TR Register, and works well from a PC. I'm still working on how to post photos from a tablet, its not quite as easy.

Whilst we are all learning how to get the best from the forum, please keep criticism constructive.

I have posted pictures on a number of forums. and by far the easiest way is to host the picture on a photo site like flikr or Photobucket.

you can sign up to these from any device and most are free. unless you went some fancy hosting gallery.

all you do is sign up. with photobucket you can do it with your facebook account or direct in photobucket.

sign in and create a new folder. and upload your photos to that folder. just follow the on screen instructions, very simple

once you have the photos uploaded. click on "view upload" or library/ view library

photobucket-A2_zpscbd21058.jpg

then pick the library you uploaded them to

photobucket-A3_zps2a4c8003.jpg

find the picture you want you post to the forum and click on the Direct box code.

photobucket-3_zps6626d870.jpg

right click and copy

photobucket-A4_zpsff35b8b3.jpg

then on the TSSC forum posting area click on the insert picture icon.

photobucket-A5_zpsa6609c4b.jpg

and bingo picture posted. and TSSC saves on hosting space.

the only thing to remember is. If you move or delete any of the picture from the folder you upload them too, the picture will disappear  form the places you have posted them.

if you upload all your photos the added advantage is you'll have safe storage for all you family photo's

SIMPLE's

I use a thing called ShrinkPic which is free to download and compresses the photo's. Don't know whether this would make any difference here as I'm a bit of a dunce with computers. I consider it quite an achievement to post a reply!

And if you have the right version of Windows (I'm still on XP), the "My Pictures" folder has a built-in compressor.

I suspect that this facility may sometimes not be loaded, but should be on your Windows disc, if you have one.

Don't know if it would still be available from Microsoft, or if it exists in Windosw 7 or 8.

But simples!  Select a picture (or pictures, it'll do dozens at once) and then click on:

File/Resize Pictures/Small (fits 640x480 screen)/OK

Voila!    The compressed pic will appear in the same folder with the same name, plus "(Small)".

What could be simpler?

No need to

JOhn

The picture resizer function for XP was part of the "Power Toys" for XP, something that normally had to be separately downloaded from Microsoft.

When they introduced Vista (and then Windows 7, 8, 8.1 etc) it stopped working and one had to use a 3rd party add-on to get the equivalent functionality.

For Windows 7, this http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/ is a good alternative to the XP image resizer, and it works in a similar manner.

I've got no idea whether it works with Windows 8/8.1 or not.

Thanks, Kevin!  Good old Microsoft, eh?

D'ye know the one about the helicopter pilot, lost over cloud at Seattle?

He found a tower block poking up, and held a notice to the windows - "Where am I?"

The reply told him at once that he was next to the Microsoft tower, "You're in a helicopter"

John