Spitfire 1500 overdrive sounds like nails in a food processor

SunnySpit

Hello! Newbie alert.

Very proud owner of 1978 Spitfire, one lady owner from new..(seriously!)

HOWEVER... drove home from seller (yes I will be asking them of course, but I thought I would page the oracle first in order to perhaps enrich my vocabulary when I do go back to the owner) and flicked the overdrive switch doing about 50-60 down the M23. Sounded a little like the first few milliseconds of a food processor when you're whizzing the soup for lunch... know what I mean? Suffice to say I quickly flicked it back and the noise stopped. Also, the noise has kicked off a handful of times on it's own since that first time, alleviated by swiftly depressing the clutch and continuing happily after re-engaging.

Gearbox was reconditioned a few hundred miles ago, although that was around 12 months ago. Don't know if that included an overdrive overhaul as part of the work. I've not checked the oil level yet.

Any insights before I ask difficult questions of the previous owner?

Thanks!

Conrad.

Being a 1500 i guess this is single rail gearbox and j type overdrive ??? (Solenoid on passenger side)

But looking at the cheap options check the handbrake cable is not fouling the propshaft

these noises are not always frommwhere you think

if its close, a change in engine torque can make it contact

Check with the handbrake released

edit

this could explain why it appears at other times without cause

Pete

OD are quite reliable j type is more tolerant 

but solenoid can get sticky , if not used often . easy to fix . but cant think what would cause the racket unless something dramatic has failed .

always check the cheap and easy things first

even if it makes  a noise give the handbrake a pull on , takes the slack out the cable, but prop fouling cable  is common .

pete

• 3 months later...

Update.

Noise went away for months after being unceremoniously dragged off the M27 by the RAC during rush hour. Now the noise is back with me. It's more of a scrape than a grind and sounds like something dragging on the ground. Took it to the local shop and they reckon it's inside the offside rear hub, but they don't have the removal tool. Do I really need one?

Conrad.

Yes, you need the correct tool.

However, if it is making anoise you need a new shaft as well as bearing. Maybe better  get an exchange recon shaft complete and a diy change...

However,no idea why it would be related to od usage...

BTW sounds like you are in Sussex?

Do the easy first remove the wheel and drum , is there a prolem with the shoes or return springs or drums has been fouling the back plate

you only need a puller if you want to remove the hub flange to remove the shaft in order to examine the hub bearings which are a single row ball race and some needle rollers that keep the trunion parralel to the drive shaft

these get worn and can make a racket often the needles wear the shaft

pete

OK thanks. Good stuff.

Pete - yes I've had the drum off as a shoe dragging was a possibility in my mind too. Not so. If the bearings are worn (observe that the car has <32k on the clock) would the noise be sometimes (very nasty) and nothing at all at other times?

Clive, thanks, you're right. Not an OD concern anymore, this was a red herring. I'm in Petersfield.

Anybody near Petersfield got a hub removal tool that my man can borrow?

Conrad.

I'm moving this to rear axle so please respond over there. Thanks!