Fuel tank capacity (Herald 13/60)

s.leah

My 1969 Herald has the smaller tank, so presumably your 1968 car would have too if it still has the original tank.

I have been told that the larger tank can be fitted, and it is a straight swap.

I don't know how difficult a job it is, but I will soon find out because I have to take the tank out to replace the rear lamp unit. :(

Looks like I have the (standard) smaller one. Darn it! This means I'm going to end up looking for a Vitesse tank.....  :rolleyes:  not that there's anything wrong with my current one, I just hate going to filling stations!!!

So you are going to trade regularly going to the filling station to have a minor walletectomy, for less frequent visits for a major walletectomy.  :rolleyes:

It does seem that way doesn't it!!!

Maybe I'll rethink this.. Hmm... <_<

Had a 6 gallon tank for yrs. a few yrs ago put a 9 in. tbh its more convenient, but not that much.  When I used the car as a daily driver up and down to london, I would have felt the benefit. Used to have to refuel en route as its safe range was about 150 and I needed 180! 

If you really are besotted with the idea of the larger tank, then I have a good Vitesse tank in the loft which was sandblasted, painted and  sealed with Frost tank sealer.( I did this because of pitting around the drain plug neck as a precaution, it was not leaking). It even has a new reserve tank transfer and fuel sender, and I am in Liverpool, so not far away from you.

Before you do the swap though, check that you have the locking ring type sender on your current tank, which is compatible with your 13/60 fuel gauge - if the sender  is the earlier 6-screw type then fitting the locking ring type is not compatible with your fuel gauge. From memory I think this difference only crops up with 1200s, but it is an easy visual check.

Regards

Steve

you can fit the early 6 screw into a bayonet ring by trimming the float  unit platform to suit the diameter or the bayonet sealing ring 

did this on my 64 Vitesse6 as fitted a new tank from Fitchets , this was herald sized with the bayonet ring , so just cut the disc to suit

you cant change the float unit as 6 hole is generally totally different resistance to the bayonet, due to different gauge design which must be matched 

whilst we gained some boot space we also reduced the range and  joined the frequent filling station visitors list 

Pete

• 2 months later...

As mentioned above, I have tried to take the tank out of my Herald 13/60 to replace the light unit, but it doesn't want to come out!

According to the workshop manual it should just lift out once everything is disconnected, but it won't.

Everything is disconnected but there doesn't seem to be enough space between the boot floor and the top of the inner rear wing 

What am I doing wrong?

Get the drain removed from the replacement tank, nobody dare open them anyway as you'll end up snapping it off, without it it's really easy to fit/remove. Most radiator places will do petrol tank repairs and should be happy to blank off the hole. I done it myself, but not really recommended.....

I put a large grommet in the hole in the boot floor, though you could choose to do something a little more permanent.

• Like 1

While you are at it, fit a stud and nut to the rear N/S overrider instead of the bolts, then if you need to remove this you won't need to take the tank out.

C.

Thanks! Good advice, I would not have thought of that!