Picture display

JohnD

How do you post a pic, so that it appears full size in your post?

Using the usual system, Attach file/insert in post shows a thumbnail that only shows full size when clicked on.

But many posts show fullsized pics.

So far, this new MsB hasn't shown any ginormous pics, more than a screen wide, that sued to infest the old one.   Does it do an auto compression on such megapics? (The Totally Triumph Net site in the US, now little used does this)

If not, can that facility be added?  It's an annoyance to have to scroll about to see a pic in full.

JOhn

John,

The functionality is exactly the same as the TR Register forum.

Any pictures that you add directly to the posting will show as thumbnails that enlarge when clicked on.

To insert large pictures they need to be hosted elsewhere - and "elsewhere" can be your own gallery on this website !

See this posting for details of how to do it - http://forum.tssc.org.uk/index.php?/topic/11-picture-size/

I'm still working on a guide on picture posting from an iPad or other tablet, as clearly one cannot right click on these.

• 1 month later...

I've just posted in another thread and tried to post a picture that illustates my point, better than I could decsribe.     Thnaks to the unnecessary limits on picture numbers (in kB) for each member that the Club has imposed, I had already used up my allowance in a short post about preparing the sump to prevent leaks.   On advice (thanks John Bonnet!) I therefore uploaded my pic to the Gallery, and posted it from there (whatis the *&%$£&^ difference???) and I got this message, "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." 

It's only 46kb  and exactly 640x480 pixels wide for goodness sake!  

Why should I try to help the Club and my fellow members from over twenty years of experience by posting pics when the Club makes it as difficult as possible to do so?   I'd rather do so on the TRR or CT sites, and I will in future.

John, the unhappy Silverback

The list of file types that can be posted to the gallery is : gif, png, jpg, jpeg, tiff, flv, f4v, mp4, mov, m4a, m4v, 3gp, avi, wmv, mpg, mpeg, mkv

I suspect that this is another default setting that the forum software provides.

I am very suprised that TIFF files can be posted, as TIFF files can be crafted to contain a virus payload, and simply opening such a file can infect your computer and infect all the TIFF files on it.

The file type that is missing from this list is a BMP file, which is a very inefficient file storage format, with files sizes out of all proportion to the contents, so in my opinion has been quite correctly ommited from the list of allowable file types.  BMP files have no compression what so ever, so take up huge amounts of server disc storage, and more importantly take a long time to down load, so anyone posting BMP files will slow down the viewing experience of anyone tyring to view one - and we have had complaints about slow server response and downloads in the past, and we do not want to go back there again.

BMP files are very easy to convert to JPGs using Windows Paint - and there are apps for the iPad and Android tablets to do the same.