I had a senior moment yesterday. I took the car out for a successful high speed run to check out mixture and when I returned had a quick peak in the engine bay to make sure all was well and I had forgotten to fit the vacuum hose onto the front carb. I suppose another blast up the road is now in order!
Cutting the wheel arches. .
Although I quite like the look of the enclosed sides, the wheels cannot be removed ! And although wheel spats would reclaim that style, to do them neatly would take a whole lot more work, so for the time being I've just cut out the shape.. As a touch of retro art-deco style, I'm keeping the cut tight and also not having vertical ends to the cutouts. Instead they're basic geometry of a part circle. Of course if I then don't like the look, I'll then have the option to cut more away.
^ marking out
^ and dusted off
Next was to add a little shape to the rear corners, in line with what I had on my drawings . . .
^ back corner marked and being cut
^ and so we now have the first-cut of the back corner shape. The chassis box section is exposed when seen from a low down point of view, but as hoped it fades into the shadows even when sitting on a bench 8ft away.
I think its looking more like a trailer now, rather than a hot tub ..so first impressions are favourable. Before it looked as if the back end of the trailer would ground over every hump or speed bump but now, although the ramp-angle hasn't actually changed, it looks more sensible. Whether the back panel will need to be trimmed straight.. remains to be seen. Of course the lid's shape and adding rear lights will make more difference, as perhaps to a lesser extent will be similar trimming off of the bottom of the front corners. In the end there won't be many straight edges to the outside shape of this trailer.
That's it for now. I bid you a pleasant bank holiday weekend.