Bleeding the bleedin clutch problems

Hi All,

Just after some advise.  Just changed the slave cylinder as the original was leaking rather badly.  Thought about a seal kit, but ditched this idea after I cleaned the original only to find some deep corrosion damage which would not polish out.  Started with an access hole (thought this would be a god idea as some comments on this subject suggest both the seal and replacement cylinders don't last that long) fitted the new slave and went on to bleed the system after emptying the master as there was some age related dirt in it.  Now this what I thought might be the correct way (as used by my 19year old self a few years ago, ahem).  attach bleed tube, undo bleed nipple, press down gently to the bottom, close the nipple, up pedal gently, rinse and repeat.  I don't seem to be able to get rid of all the air, as its very difficult to get into gear if you don't pump the pedal.  Does anyone have a good ideas on how to bleed the bleedin thing ???

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Alan,

I put a tube on the nipple, other end into an elevated jar. Open the nipple frantic pumping maybe 6 times then run round and shut the nipple before the air climbs the tube. Top up, do it again. Others favour fast down slow up 6 times, I tried that but frantic works just as well for me. 

Doug

5 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Alan,

I put a tube on the nipple, other end into an elevated jar. Open the nipple frantic pumping maybe 6 times then run round and shut the nipple before the air climbs the tube. Top up, do it again. Others favour fast down slow up 6 times, I tried that but frantic works just as well for me. 

Doug

Ah, that's the same as the Rimmers video, any idea why clutch would be different to brakes ???  I will give it go tomorrow, cheers.

2 hours ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

any idea why clutch would be different to brakes ???

Only that there's a lot more movement in the clutch, so you can't build (or hold) pressure, which means some techniques don't work. It also doesn't help that the slave cylinder is horizontal on the four cylinder cars, meaning the air bubble sits just above the bleed nipple outlet. Jack the back end up (or park pointing downhill). If you had access, then open the bleed nipple and push the slave plunger back in all the way.

I cant see any benefit in releasing the pedal fast but a possible disavantage is that you risk dropping the pressure in the system enough to draw air in (the thread of the loose bleed nipple is often quoted) rather than fluid from the reservoir.... 

i was always on the down quick and back slow   applies to many things that are bleeding difficult 

a nip between the ups and downs or downs and ups can help sucking air back up the bleed tube  one good reason to always keep the catch  jar up High

if you plug the bleed hose and stanley knife a 1 " slit in the end makes a simple one way valve without having to buy one 

pete