Having trouble removing sump plug.

Mike

13/60. Engine Parts (Canley 114774) shows what appears to be a Tapered plug. (as does the Vittesse 2L parts list) Used properly, it will seal, without  "goriila" pressure, PTFE wouldnt hurt, although It should not be necessary.

Looking at the O-P`s photo. The Sump does appear to have a decent flat face? if so it should take a shoulder`d plug and seal washer?, if you can find one. Which to my mind, is the better "engineering".

Pete

3 hours ago, PeteH said:

13/60. Engine Parts (Canley 114774) shows what appears to be a Tapered plug. (as does the Vittesse 2L parts list) Used properly, it will seal, without  "goriila" pressure, PTFE wouldnt hurt, although It should not be necessary.

My 13/60 has the tapered plug (11mm spanner still works) but it leaks. I haven't tried PTFE yet but I must admit to the extra few turns whilst under the car in the hope of achieving a seal of some sorts.

I tried the large hexagon nut on the GT6, it leaked, tried to reuse it on the Herald Estate, it also leaked. Probably the fault of the copper sealing washer but they never seem to be an exact fit.

I've found what I think is the invoice for the plug I have as a spare, the part number is 155660.

I put my glasses on and checked out the plug - definitely tapered. I think I bought it for the gearbox but not fitted yet - oil always changed at local garage as its easier . . .IMG0026A.jpg.636c9ae39fcee7bc282006e9d2474766.jpg

58 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

never seem to be an exact fit.

its more the outer sealing face on the sump which has to be perpendicular to the tapped hole 

as many of our sumps dont have a sealing face as not part of the deisign , some will work  some wont 

the taper with a hex head seems the best so far or just ....................... ban gorillas 

Pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My 13/60 has the tapered plug (11mm spanner still works) but it leaks. I haven't tried PTFE yet but I must admit to the extra few turns whilst under the car in the hope of achieving a seal of some sorts.

They do have to be done up pretty well. The manual says 3kg.m so to my weird way of thinking using an 11mm spanner thats 160mm long youve got to hang 18 litres of water off the end of it... 

32 minutes ago, johny said:

They do have to be done up pretty well. The manual says 3kg.m so to my weird way of thinking using an 11mm spanner thats 160mm long youve got to hang 18 litres of water off the end of it... 

How does that equate to seventeen stone of owner hanging off it?? :) More, or less?

I went through all of this on the last oil change. Mangled plug, wouldn't shift. Ah, get a new plug before you try to shift the old one, then if you do mangle it beyond use, you have a spare. Ordered a replacement from one of the usual suspects. It arrived so I started. Mole wrench and rubber hammer. Eventually I won, mangling the head even more. Come to fit the new one...yes, you're there before me...wrong fit. Then I read about tapered threads, straight threads, copper washers, magnetic cores and, oh yes, different threads on the plugs. Back in the old one went and is still there waiting the next oil change. I now have a selection of plugs, just in case.

You will find a few comments on these pages..

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/7297-new-gt6-mk2-purchase-help-me-improve-it-further/page/12/#comment-113536

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/7038-sump-plug-stuck/#comment-92000

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/5384-sump-plug-thread/?tab=comments#comment-65257

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

magnetic cores

Yes, very satisfying when the plug comes out to see it clean and no nasty big metal bits on it. BUT. When it comes to putting it back in, the magnet tries to pull it to the side of the hole and I have to fight the laws of nature to get it back in correctly 😠

53 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Bit of Wellseal/Blue hylamar for looser, non close fitting threads?

Doing that could stop it leaking but I thought Triumphs had a total loss oiling system. You put it in at the top the car lets it out at the bottom 😁

• Like 1