Spitfire MK3 fuel cap rubber seal

Piglet

For a UK-spec Mk3 with the outlet on the bottom of the tank and no pipes at the top (other than the filler neck) then you need to vented one.

The Mk4 tank had the outlet moved to the top and also acquired a vent pipe (for the US market emission canister). With that spec of tank you want the non-vented, unless the breather pipe has been blocked.

9 hours ago, DanMi said:

check them out both the vented and non vented are for the mk4 filler cap not the mk3 the mk3 is a simple circle 

Yes, sorry, I hadn't checked the Rimmers reference. My Mk3 filler cap also has NO SEAL and works fine. The Mk4 cap is slightly different and would have been vented on some (UK?) models but non-vented on others, particularly US. The Mk3 cap does have provision for something - there's a distinct recess on the neck, into which the lip of the cap fits - but it would be a porous cork ring fitted to the neck, not the cap.

However, if you have a Mk4 cap on a Mk3 tank, you definitely need the vented version.

Well, it's possibly meant to have one of these:

s-l1600-113.jpg.fbf58647da24a9ace5402e5d8345f337.jpg

Which is what I bought for my own GT6 Mk1 but could never work out how it was meant to fit, so it's still in the drawer.

It goes on like this:

1852764449_Gascapwithovalventhole.JPG.42fb66631db3ef4a0faa9ab931af907d.JPG

The one referred to earlier as being the same as the caliper seal looks like this one:

658395689_fuelfiller70gt6-1.JPG.ce9c1d1124f99b25cfa31d5176b5abde.JPG 

It probably just goes round the edge of the cap centre.

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Well, it's possibly meant to have one of these:

No, that's the later type. Your second photo shows a flat face on the neck, which roundtail Spitfires don't have. The seal, such as it is, goes on the neck, not the cap.

2 hours ago, NonMember said:

No, that's the later type. Your second photo shows a flat face on the neck, which roundtail Spitfires don't have. The seal, such as it is, goes on the neck, not the cap.

Yep; that's why I added 'possibly'... I wasn't sure what the Mk3 used.