Spitfire 1147cc engine wanted

Duane

• Duane changed the title to Spitfire 1147cc engine wanted

There’s at least three Herald 1147cc engines on eBay right now. One with a gearbox. The three synchro gearboxes are pretty easy to come by generally. Aside from the numbers the Mk1 Spit and Heralds had identical gearboxes. The Herald engines can be built up to Spitfire spec. They’re probably your best bet unless you’re desperate for the ‘right’ engine / gearbox number prefixes. 

35 years ago I had my Spitfire engine replaced by, what was then, a local Triumph restoration company. The car ran well with no noticeable difference except that it didn't make nasty noises, add it's own smoke screen defences to the atmosphere, throw excessive oil and water everywhere...you get the picture. On recommendation a couple of years later it was stripped, balanced, ported and everything that you do to an engine in bits. It still runs well today with plenty of power etc. What this got to do with this thread you ask. Well, it was only when I contacted Padd*cks for spares and they asked for the engine number, that I discovered that the replacement engine that I had been running for all those years was a Herald 13/60 not a Spitfire. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised. The company that fitted the engine is long gone.

6 hours ago, Badwolf said:

35 years ago I had my Spitfire engine replaced by, what was then, a local Triumph restoration company. The car ran well with no noticeable difference except that it didn't make nasty noises, add it's own smoke screen defences to the atmosphere, throw excessive oil and water everywhere...you get the picture. On recommendation a couple of years later it was stripped, balanced, ported and everything that you do to an engine in bits. It still runs well today with plenty of power etc. What this got to do with this thread you ask. Well, it was only when I contacted Padd*cks for spares and they asked for the engine number, that I discovered that the replacement engine that I had been running for all those years was a Herald 13/60 not a Spitfire. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised. The company that fitted the engine is long gone.

You would’ve noticed faster if they’d put a Vitesse one in :D

6 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Doesnt the serial number just refer to the block so the head, which presumably is different from a Heralds, could even be from your original unit?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...