Out & about in a Triumph

Bfg

' Out and about in a Triumph '  seems like it ought to be a topic for us all to participate in,  so it's opportune that Katie and I can hopefully set the wheels rolling . . .  

It's been a long time but it had to happen..  Katie  is back on the road. !

P1420414s.thumb.JPG.c16a0f533b0f6c6324c8d992ab1dd264.JPG

First trip out in Katie  for a very long time ..seemingly with many of those hours & days with my being wedged under the car or else inverted in the foot-wells !   After a final check, the intent was simply to take her around the block.. but she was driving so quietly and smoothly that I found myself over at Suffolk Water Park. That was just a round trip of 20 miles ..but it's streets ahead of where we were a month ago. 

Where did you drive to in your Triumph today ?

Pete

• Like 6

• Bfg changed the title to Out & about in a Triumph

Didn't get out in any of them today as I spent the afternoon taking the gearbox out of the GT6 to pack out the pedestal so the clutch works. If the weather is nice tomorrow I'll drive the Spitfire to church. Its last trip was to Tesco for fuel, on Thursday evening.

Today I think I'll head up to The Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton, NR35 1NZ  (off the B1062 not far from Bungay) this afternoon in Katie  if anyone wants to meet me there for a wander and a cuppa. < here >  Well worth a visit if you haven't been recently

Pete

9 hours ago, Bfg said:

Today I think I'll head up to The Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton, NR35 1NZ  (off the B1062 not far from Bungay) this afternoon in Katie  if anyone wants to meet me there for a wander and a cuppa. < here >  Well worth a visit if you haven't been recently

Pete

P1420490a.thumb.JPG.453f30f5438d5019f764850aa63ecd2a.JPG

Katie  alongside a Gloster Javelin F(AW).9R which was built in 1958 and saw service until 1966, the year before Katie (amongst the last of her line) was first registered.  

80 mile round trip from home, country village route, and in this weather very a pleasant trundle. Flixton had a good crowd today as the Copdock bike club also visit with around about 120 bikes, and there was also a contingent of amazingly spotless classic Honda (Owners Club), and then again a few of the 'Distinguished Gentlemen' motorcycle club on their way back from a charity run. One of the bike's there was a limited edition (just 500) CCM 600cc single street style bike. There was a flying model club too and also static model attendees too. I enjoyed a good banter with some of the museum's volunteer staff, and some other old gaffers who came to visit this extraordinary museum.   

P1420469s.JPG.408781caa0812b19c3fabbfadff9316c.JPG

Otherwise, classic cars spotted included ; a couple of early short wheelbase Land Rovers, a Morris Minor 1000, a plastic bumper MGB-GT, a Rover P6 2000, and what looked to be an early 1960's Bentley Continental coupe.  Very nice too.

On the way back, just a few miles down the road, I dropped in at Billingford Mill . . .

P1420501as.thumb.JPG.70069a7672d466f93d41ddcd3f645d08.JPG

The mill was built in 1859-60 to replace a post mill that had succumbed to excessive winds.  The mill closed down in 1959, which is somewhat amazing in light of that being in the  Javelin's era ..and its twin turbo-jet with 13, 390lb of thrust (with reheat).

The mill is now in the capable care of 'The Norfolk Windmill Trust' ..and friends of the windmill, who raised funds for restoration between 2017 and 21.  It's a tranquil place to visit and perhaps stop for a picnic.

Katie, behaved very well, although I was shocked when I stopped for petrol and 30 litres cost close to £60.!  Aside from that things are settling (I've done 300 miles these past 7 days) and I'm getting a few squeaks so perhaps tomorrow I'll wander around and check that bolts are pinched up.  I'll also drop the tyre pressures again, things jiggle a bit on the old Suffolk back roads that may appreciate a little more compliance.  All in all though confidence is building B)

Bidding you a pleasant summer's evening. 

Pete

P1420504.thumb.JPG.1a4bc76d68d9f1c8c4c36b62dc8ad735.JPG   P1420512s.thumb.JPG.6b7865ac9cb484587a600f86a9bf69dd.JPG

• Like 4

I went for a long drive in my Herald,all fine until whilst pulling out onto a busy roundabout,something went bang and it felt like something had gone under the car,pulled into a lay by and went back to find one of my horns which had fallen off and gone under the car and was sitting in the middle of a live lane.

Managed to retrieve it so no biggy,no sign of the bolt.

Steve

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Steve P said:

one of my horns which had fallen off and gone under the car and was sitting in the middle of a live lane.

Managed to retrieve it so no biggy,

That was I'm sure a great relief. 

my horn occasional toots as I turn the wheel, only when people are around though.

I need to replace the horn push if anyone has a spare in black on white (rather than blue on white)

cheers,  Pete

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Some excellent photos there, but doesn't it make you wonder that the Javelin only lasted from 1958 to 1966 - 8 years - and the Triumph has lasted for almost sixty?

The Gloster Dragmaster... Struggled in performance terms against its contemporary - the Hawker Hunter. Fuel hungry (two relatively inefficient Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire engines) and not a slippery airframe. The delta wing with high T-tail gave a few tricky stall characteristics too. Gloster proposed a 'thin wing' version to improve performance, but this was not ordered. The final flying one retired from Boscombe Down to Duxford in the mid-1970's and is still on display there in a red/white colour scheme.

Gully

• Thanks 1