Whats my gearbox

Rich

Good afternoon all,

After an afternoon fettling changing gearbox oil and overdrive filter i was intrigued to see what gearbox i actually have. I looked at the numbers but where unreadable, the only number i could see was P128? The overdrive is a D type.

Thanks in advance

Rich

P.S the reverse is left then up also :D on the gearbox

Late single-rail boxes have reverse forward and right, where 5th would be in a modern. They are Marina--derived and have the BL "plughole" log cast in to the alloy, and in O/D form come with J-type Laycock overdrives. Not a bad box either, contrary to what your read, especially if the plastic selector bushes are renewed...

Regards

Steve C

Yes you can see in the top cover the caps that seal the three selector shafts

On a 3 rail one shaft carries the 1st 2nd fork, the middle carries the 3rd and fourth fork

next takes just the reverse fork

There is a , ward, on the remote that toggles between them

on a single rail its is it says just one shaft with all 3 forks located on one central shaft

the remote tower is a little more complicated and the selector has a ward for each fork

which has to rotate to engage each fork.

In the end that may be some reconditioners ID

but 3 rail and D type sounds just right

pete

pete

• 2 weeks later...

New to this site.Recently purchased a 2 litre,  with overdrive, vitesse convertible  needing fettling.[G reg.].

Bought a gearbox [inside car] cover to find that the hole for the gear lever is about 1.1/2 inches forward of the actual lever.

Also new carpet set is similar in that again the hole in carpet is 1.1/2 inches forward of  the lever.

Have I got a wrong gearbox.? The car drives ok with it as it is just the hole problem.

JonP.