GT6 bonnet...fibreglass or steel?....

ludwig113

Ok folks, i need a new bonnet because i don't actually have one at the moment and i'm nearly at the paint stage.

I'm sure people will have good and bad thoughts when it comes to fibreglass or steel bonnets... but i'd like to hear all the viewpoints.

Obvious ones are the price and weight but does the lighter unit effect the handling good/bad, and how does it effect the weight bias of the car?

cheers Paul

I've had both at one time or another. The FG one had the virtue of being cheap and kept the car on the road against a limited budget. But that was the only virtue.

The worst aspect of FG bonnet was that, lacking the heft and relative rigidity of the steel one, it was prone to flex and lift at speed. Sure, this could apply equally well to a steel bonnet if fitted poorly, but FG was particularly problematic.

The general fit was not too bad at all, but the appearance was not nice: The FG always looked like what it was - the economy option. For example; in order to have louvres for the scuttle air intake and for the bonnet latches it's DIY fretwork which leaves coarse cut egdes.

And perhaps to take into account the greater challenges in painting fibreglass as compare to steel. For example; cracks in the gelcoat or inadvertently sanding through the gelcoat requiring significant expertise to correct.

Many of you know that my Spit IV is currently wearing it's fibreglass bonnet which was fitted as a temporary measure over 30 years ago now. I don't like it, but it fits and it will have to do until, in fits and starts, I sort out the steel one. The fg fits adequately but leaves a lot to be desired regarding rigidity and creaks worryingly when lifted. It serves the one purpose, that is to make the car drivable until I get the steel one finished (if ever).

I'm indifferent on this issue. My "Sixfire" has a FG bonnet with no scuttle holes while my GT6 has a Spitfire Mk4 bonnet with the original GT6 bonnet's power bulge welded into it. Most non-expert observers reckon that the FG looks great and you can see your face in it, although there are a couple of imperfections in the FG which show through if you look closely. The cost of a new steel bonnet together with a professional paint job would likely not see much change from £2,000 so I'm quite content to live with FG until those magic numbers come up.