Bumper and Overider Fitting Sequence

Neil Clark

I'm really struggling to get the front overiders to fit.  I know my hinges are probably out sideways by a bit after being welded on but I can file out the holes in the new bumpers sideways a bit to suit that.  Is there a "sequence" to tightening up bumper irons / bumpers etc then getting the spacers onto the bolts that secure the overriders themselves.  Does the metal lip inside the overrider have to hang on the hinge before the bolt goes in and it's bolted up and does it actually hang over the hinge metal?  Thanks 

yes the lip on the overider hangs on the hinge before bolting on. If I recall the spacer is a tube which goes between the bumper and chassis. I recall I just fitted all loosely, fiddled and then tightened, though I had 1 overrider spacer missing so used a few nuts instead.

Make sure the overriders are on the correct side; I know the early GT6 versions were handed.

The way I did mine was: bumper on and tightened; fit the rubber sealing strips to the overriders - this saves scratches on the chrome; hook the overrider 'lip' over the top of the bracket then gradually draw down and in until the bolt will reach and will catch the first few threads. Don't draw it in on the bolt; rather apply hand pressure to the front of the overrider and as the bolt slackens, tighten it again until you're happy it's in the correct place. I don't remember any kind of spacer tube on the front, just a large domed washer that I left out on one side and had to redo...

Thanks Colin.  That's really useful advice.  The re-welded hinges are a few mm offset so I've moved the bumper irons to help the position relative to the bumper holes.  I had tightened the bumper.  The distance from the hinge bolt hole to the hinge nut is now, I think longer than spec.  The standard UNC bolt reaches but won't catch the thread.  I've ordered a couple of longer UNC bolts.  Canley sent me spacers with the specified nuts and bolts when I bought the replacement bumper so I think there must be a need for them.  And I've lots of other spacers I can use. 

The steady progressive pressure / tightening makes a lot of sense

What a mission that was.  Every bonnet hinge measurement is a few millimetres out after the welding so the round file came into play.  I can't say that the nuts, spring washers, spacers and bolts are arranged anything like the ones in the manuals but it all fits and looks right, and the overriders are secure.

IMG_8767.JPG

• Like 3