Front Shocks and Spring Compressor

the hook type clamp is pretty useless on close coils of the small chassis cars springs 

so area's do have a set of club ones lurking in the dust   its certaily a good idea to ask around  

we have some in sunny bedfordshire but thats a bit of a drive 

Pete

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pettifordo said:

Just purchased one from the club shop - thanks for the feedback - vitals hopefully safe for a while longer 🤣🤣🤣

Grease it well before use and keep the threads well greased as you use it; the force involved will wear or strip dry threads amazingly quickly.

something to look for is the shocker shaft  fouling the turret makes holes bigger as the nasty cup washers dont always control it central

the up shot is you get a squeak from the contact and its a devil to find where its cooming from most think its the bonnet but it will be the hidden bit of the shaft rubbing the turret hole 

On 17/05/2022 at 11:55, Colin Lindsay said:

Grease it well before use and keep the threads well greased as you use it; the force involved will wear or strip dry threads amazingly quickly.

I've only ever used one once, which is why I hired it, but unless you're an obsessive car rebuilder (who could I possibly mean? :lol: ) sell it on after you've used it. 

Doug

On 16/05/2022 at 20:02, clive said:

If you have an old pair of d=brake discs in the scrap pile, it is easy to make a safe spring compressor. You just need 2 lngths 10mm studding and 6 nuts....

What does the "d=" mean please, also the 6 nuts (rather than 4)?.

Ta

I think the 'd' is in disc brake, just a duplication in typing?

You need six nuts as only one end of the compressor should move, so you have one inside and one outside of one plate / disc that doesn't move, and the other end just on the outside so it tightens.

I made mine went to the local steel supplier and got two short around 7in long 1/2 in thick 4 in wide flat bar and drilled the necessary 3 holes to locate the top shocker plate in one plate and the two threaded bar holes in each then the big holes for the shocker to fit thro using tank cutters

The whole thing including 2 threaded bars was less than $15Aus

10 hours ago, daverclasper said:

What does the "d=" mean please, also the 6 nuts (rather than 4)?.

Ta

It means I have fat thumbs... my lappy and me have an odd relationship, and I have no idea where the = comes from, but happens a lot. Sometimes I notice it and correct, but often things slip through.

6 nuts. Each length of studding needs 2 to clamp to one of the discs. The 3rd nut is for adjustment. As Colin says. 

1 hour ago, clive said:

I have no idea where the = comes from

It's the key next to the backspace key, so if you start typing "discs" but then decide to be more specific, you hit 'd', miss the backspace and catch '=', then type 'brake'. So it happens to all of us, quite often.

Unlessfind you've jumped back a dozen words. you have a Samsung and you. Happens ALL the time. :angry:

Samsung said this is operator error, finger trouble, I recall Pete had a Samsung with the same problem. Samsung don't make this model anymore. 

Doug