78 spitfire Can’t find first and second gear

Fredr

yes and a little more information on the work youve done on the gearbox and why plus the symptoms you now have - does the lever move into first and second position but theres no drive or is it that the lever wont even go there?

8 hours ago, Fredr said:

Reconnected the gearshift lever, replaced sheared pin with ss bolt. Now shifts 3,4 and reverse. Cant find 1 and 2. Thoughts?

If it's 3 rail have you put the bolt at the base of the lever in back to front? It has to go one way otherwise it'll hit the side of the casing and you can't get gears - if it's both 1st and 2nd it seems likely. If it's single-rail, disregard.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

otherwise it'll hit the side of the casing

I thought that 3-rail-specific issue meant you don't get fourth. 1st/2nd is the middle of a 3-rail, so not a problem with that bolt.

If it's a single rail then 1st/2nd is the left side of the gate, but they don't have that bolt. However...

9 hours ago, Fredr said:

replaced sheared pin with ss bolt

it's probably very important to know exactly which pin was replaced here, because that sounds like a mod that might cause the problem.

Single rail gearbox. The lever shifts to 3rd, 4th and reverse but physically will not move to the left to get 1st or 2nd.

image.thumb.jpeg.66924b78e965657de4e853ffffe8d1ff.jpeg

Not wanting to get into the gearbox to insert a new pin I bored an opening and put a stainless steel bolt in place of the pin (RZ1216). The pin was found to have disintegrated which uncoupled this joint.

image.png.56bf72ed2c15b340acfa32a7908e3603.png

Is it possible that the bolt with nut are interfering with the play of the shifter? It is very difficult to see in there but it looked as if there was enough space.

image.png.f9b2660fa228769346d2deafa234fbfa.png

image.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Fredr said:

Is it possible that the bolt with nut are interfering with the play of the shifter?

I'd say more than possible - most likely, in fact. The factory designed it to have a split-pin that doesn't protrude AT ALL on either side. You've got a big nut and a washer on the side that's going to hit the casing when you try to get to the 1st/2nd plane.

It was tight when I first started the project. I loosened it to work on the bolt. After tightening it up again it really reduced the play of the gearshift.

I am sure it needs to be tightened..but that was going to be my next question, what is its function.

yes I think as you tighten the reverse interlock plate it pushes the lever over more so causing the new nut you have installed to come up against the inside of the housing☹️ Im afraid the selector rod needs an alternative fixing method....