Herald/Vitesse "T" Heater Control Action

rlubikey

Regarding the heater valve control with the "T" handle/knob where the cable goes to the water flow valve under the bonnet. This is part 622441 on a 13/60 and Vitesse Mk2 (and possibly some others, I don't know).

Could some kind soul tell me please - does the control have the pull and twist-to-lock action, same as the choke cable, or is it a detent type action, or something else?

I'm wondering if I could use one as a choke since it has the removable knob.

TIA, Richard

Mine has the 'ratchet' action so that you can push / pull it to any preferred amount. It's possible that it could be used for the choke as it would give you the same amount of control ie as far in or out as required. (unless there's some glaring reason why not!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Mine has the 'ratchet' action so that you can push / pull it to any preferred amount

Same here on my 13/60.

As for the choke mine is also a pull as you want without any twist to lock action, it stays put until I push it back in.

• Like 1

I did consider doing this myself at some point. The problem I found is that the cable on a 13/60 heater control is too short to work as a Spitfire choke, and I couldn’t at the time work out how to replace the cable with a longer one.

Mines comes out but won't go back in (choke cable, that is!)

The cable outer is in two halves with a rubber joint and it just splits there under any pressure. I'll have to replace it as I'm fed up opening the bonnet each time to manually put it back again.

Thanks everyone. I've ordered a Herald heater cable from Spitfire Graveyard. It might work, especially as the fuelling lever on a PI is near the water valve on a Herald. If not, maybe I'll use it for the cabin heater on the Atlas.

Cheers, Richard

I think this is just a excuse to show off the fancy chrome heater box, my choke cable is half push bike brake cable outer, half Triumph & held together with the heat shrink. ( please note chrome k&n air filter 🙂)

IMGP0123.thumb.JPG.bd9c652bae0bdf4d28b208cf5eca6046.JPG 

Spitfire Graveyard heater cable arrive this morning - double-quick time! Nice original part in good condition. The action consists of several detents, but there's quite a lot of friction so would probably do quite well as a choke cable. However, the thickness of the panel is limited to about 6mm or 1/4" and that's too thin for a Spit dash (~12mm or 1/2"). So this will now be used on the Atlas heater.

Cheers, Richard

21 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

However, the thickness of the panel is limited

Ah, yes, because while the choke cable goes through the inset wood panel, the heater controls on an early Spitfire are fitted to the metal surround. Presumably there is a "thick panel" version (with the round knob) because I'm pretty sure the Mk1 Vitesse heater knob fits into the wooden dashboard.