GT6 Roto with bracket conversion. Using Mini Shocks. Dimensions? Bushes?

Following from a previous thread: It just so happens I've been given some Mini front shocks so thought I might give them a try on them back of the GT6 which currently has bracket conversion but with standard 'Spitfire' shocks.

First: Could I get a reality check on some dimensions? Would I be right in  thinking that a 'standard' shock has a closed-open range of (approx) 255 to 320mm? The Mini shocks I've got measure 215  to 325mm.  So on that basis it's an inch and a half extra travel on upward deflection but no change where downward deflection is concerned. Have I got that right?

Second: The bushes in the eyes of Mini shocks are 3/8 inch. And the GT6 requires 1/2 inch. I can always get bespoke bush turned up if need be, but I wondered if there's a nifty or off the peg method to save me the effort. Any ideas?

(The only non-standard feature on my rear is 3/4 inch lowering block which corrects the height to about what it should be (about 610 mm ground to lip of wheel arch). But it's a new rebuild so I'm expecting some settling over time. )

Hi Chris

I fitted the Koni Classic Type 80-1717 dampers to the rear of my Mk2 Vitesse using the damper Extension Brackets

These Dampers are intended for the front of a Classic Mini from the 1960's

I have attached the Pdf file of the Dampers, Closed length is 216mm, Open length is 296mm measure from the centres of the bushing, so yours sound slightly different?

I used the original lower bushing but had to drill the metal tube out slightly, it was still thick enough though?

The Top mounts need swopping, I had to fit different Bushes and Spacers (Super-pro SPF0365 Top-Hats off Chris Witor) to the top mounts to suit the Chassis extension brackets, it was a bit of a faff, I used some M24 (I think) Spring Washers filed down as the attached photo's.

It looks like the 325mm open length on your Dampers is too long and you may get the driveshafts catching on the Chassis on full rebound of the suspension.

Regards

Gary 

Bracket & Bushes.jpg

Modified Bush & Spacer Washer.jpg

80-1717.pdf SuperFlex Universal shock eye bushes - Used.pdf