Grease gun

Pdv

3 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Also easy to refurb

Yes but...

The first one I bought off Fleabay was missing the piston seal, but Wanner sell spares, £27! As the gun had only cost me £10 it was cheaper to buy another gun.

And don't get me started on the the club shop  oil gun! The ad photo is taken from a distance so you don't realize how BIG the Pumpinator really is, so big you can't manoeuvre it onto the trunnion nipple.

Doug

Thanks guys,

The wanner gun looks a good bet.

I have just fitted new UJs to the propshaft and ball joints which also have grease nipples, so it wont get much use.

The irony is I bought a new gun for the Trunions a while ago and it was useless for the job, .oil everywhere so I gave it away,used a draper oil can which did the job really well

Thanks 

Steve

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

The first one I bought off Fleabay was missing the piston seal, but Wanner sell spares, £27! As the gun had only cost me £10 it was cheaper to buy another gun

Have several wanner grease guns on one of them that had a leaking piston seal used a piece of aluminium round bar for the piston and fixed a couple of neoprene washers to it to work as a seal.

But as said easier to buy a other gun, car boots anothe good source.

Regards.

Paul

If it's the seal that I am thinking about, I measured the existing one that was on the piston and searched fleabay for 'washers' until I found some with the correct diameter. Am I thinking about the wrong piston? I got a few, so will have a look in the spares box later.

• 2 months later...

There are essentially three sizes of grease nipple fitting (different threads) but they all have the same nipple size, so only really one size of gun at the working end. Most of the fittings on a Spitfire are the 1/4"UNF thread but the steering rack (plug bolt - only fit a nipple while greasing then put the bolt back) is a bigger one.

• Thanks 1