Driveshaft condition

12 hours ago, Wagger said:

The standard GT6 one is reputed to be fragile.

That probably depends on maintenance, upgrades and driving style. Many of them have lasted years but others are stripped and broken relatively quickly, yet they all started off the same...

13 hours ago, Wagger said:

Is that a Quaife differential? The standard GT6 one is reputed to be fragile.

Not Quaife,but it was rebuilt by Mike Papworth with a stronger carrier (TR7)?.

I do have a Blackline ATB (Chinese Quaife copy) on the shelf but i haven`t got round to building it yet.

I know Clive on here went through a couple of 3:27`s in a 2.5 Vitesse but he must be more of a hooligan than me as mine has been fine so far.He went for a Subaru diff i think.

Steve

6 minutes ago, Steve P said:

I do have a Blackline ATB (Chinese Quaife copy) on the shelf but i haven`t got round to building it yet.

I know Clive on here went through a couple of 3:27`s in a 2.5 Vitesse but he must be more of a hooligan than me as mine has been fine so far.He went for a Subaru diff i think.

Steve

Yes, I broke 3x 3.27  I then fitted a 3.63, and that lasted absolutely fine. I do wonder if the weaker 3.27 carrier was the issue, failing and causing the destruction

Not the first time I have been called a hooligan!

My current spitfire (circa 180bhp) has a subaru diff, and appears to be indestructable. I have tried.... 

45 minutes ago, Steve P said:

Steve

I'll bear that in mind for future use. I have a 3.63:1 on my 2.5 Vitesse. Would hardly need overdrive in East Sussex if I had a 3.27:1.

It will pull away in 2nd as it is and pulls from 12mph in top. Really could use a wide ratio box. Maybe I'll save up for a five speed Mazda conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

Driveshaft now reassembled and fitted. Ended up filing damaged the threads and got nut on luckily. All new bearings and UJ so all should be good now!

Despite a telephone conversation, an email with pictures, and two whats app messages with pictures no replacement shaft.  Spitbitz did not respond or replace the damaged shaft. Very disappointed with their after sales service and will not use again.