Courier magazines, free to a loving home.

DerekS

Evening all. We moved house recently and I'm trying to get things sorted and organised. Unfortunately I've realised that my Courier magazines ( going back to 2007 ) are taking up too much space. I've always kept items like this with a view that they are part of the car's "history". They are far too "valuable"  to recycle/dump so I'm wondering if anyone within driving distance of North Cumbria would be interested? They are all in as new condition, in A4 box files. 

Derek.

I also have three bookshelves of Courier back numbers all in A5 plastic boxes, carefully labled. I hate the thought of recycling them (I was taught to respect printed literature) but it's now getting to the point of will I read them again, do I need them and, as a realist, what will happen to them after me. Digital reading is not the same but the point will come, as mentioned on here previously, costs will soon make the Courier digital only...now did I actually open last month's issue and where is it?

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

just green brown and black.

That's confusing. We have blue, green and brown, because the council are too stingy to provide the black one for general waste and just give us sacks. The brown is odd - most of us don't have it, it appears to be the same as green but for farms rather than houses.

• 1 month later...

Evening all! Further to the above, I'm now trying to find a home for 32 Courier magazines, 2 from 1982, a complete set from 1985, a nearly complete set from 1986 and 3 from 1991 into 1992. North Cumbria again or I can post them, 2.4kg in weight, sorry but I would ask you to pay the postage. I still haven't got round to disposing of the newer ones and it wouldn't seem right at all binning these.

it does seem shameful to dump a collection thenwhen did you last read them ??  and there is some space saving going to happen 

dont be too sad   and just toadd to the plot  many have them anyway 

I dumped a good few years in the reccyle bin       you do get over it   Ha !

15 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

I dumped a good few years in the reccyle bin       you do get over it   Ha !

I sneaked a few into Dentists waiting rooms or Hospital waiting rooms over the years but there were too many eventually.

I need to do the same with DVDs, every time I find one that I've got on streaming TV, it goes off to whichever charity shop takes them now. I keep the rare ones that will never appear anywhere but again, too many built up over the years.

5 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I keep the rare ones that will never appear anywhere but again, too many built up over the years.

Most of the very rare ones are those now thought "politically incorrect", and never re-issued. Eg; Disneys "Song of the South". Along with others beloved by kids of an earlier era; who never considered them in anyway "political", just harmless, and in some ways quite "moral". I supose if you look hard enough, you can find "political incorectness" in anything. Benny Hill?.

Pete

20 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I supose if you look hard enough, you can find "political incorectness" in anything. Benny Hill?.

Pete

Here comes the thread drift... :) A lot of the 1970s or thereabouts programmes have all been remade - Survivors, Tomorrow People etc to make them more 'culturally diverse' and they usually lack the appeal of the original. Too many messages and morals rather than substance. In 1960s Doctor Who the Daleks were evil and killed people... by the 2000s they were sad, misunderstood creatures that we should feel sorry for. However: this is good. Don't dare disagree. I watched the very recent remakes of Day of the Triffids... War of the Worlds... Survivors... all absolutely wonderful, brilliant and so understanding... but I lasted about 5 minutes with each and never went back.