I need a new gearbox

Mashby

Yes, I am banking on it surviving to the autumn (a bit of a gamble but I have recovery on my insurance policy).

I have a friend who is also a mechanic and has the same car I do, so I can enlist some help. Current thinking would be to remove, get a rebuild and  reinstall.  Coincidentally, my mate currently has his car in pieces for a major engine rebuild and he wants to keep the existing engine for originality.

I’ll return to this thread with an update when I have completed the task later in the year.

Many thanks to all once again😀

Edited by Mashby
Typo

To help the box last when driving try to get into 4th gear as soon possible and then accelerate. Unfortunately this doesnt make for fast get aways and overtakes but in 4th no gears or needle roller bearings are loaded so wear is greatly reduced....

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2022 at 20:39, johny said:

To help the box last when driving try to get into 4th gear as soon possible and then accelerate. Unfortunately this doesnt make for fast get aways and overtakes but in 4th no gears or needle roller bearings are loaded so wear is greatly reduced....

I wondered about this driving style/concept regarding reducing G/B wear, though my 2 litre Vitesse has more torque than Herald and also had/has a 3.27 diff fitted when I bought it.

So not sure if going through the gears, a bit of mauling after an early 4th, or low cruising speed in 4th is a good idea?.

Also, as well as the 3.27 diff, it had a J Type Overdrive fitted at the same time. Can the O/D suffer, if used at low speeds, say for eg, cruising at 40 mph?

45 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

I wondered about this driving style/concept regarding reducing G/B wear, though my 2 litre Vitesse has more torque than Herald and also had/has a 3.27 diff fitted when I bought it.

So not sure if going through the gears, a bit of mauling after an early 4th, or low cruising speed in 4th is a good idea?.

Also, as well as the 3.27 diff, it had a J Type Overdrive fitted at the same time. Can the O/D suffer, if used at low speeds, say for eg, cruising at 40 mph?

your car will be doing 25mph/100rpm. So 40mph will be 1600rpm or so. Well off the torque, possibly making the engine labour harder than it would like. Probably detrimental to fuel economy too. 

The gearboxes will last well if not driven hard, 100K easily.

4 hours ago, daverclasper said:

In my opinion you havent really got the best set up for giving the gearbox as easy a life as possible. I have the standard 3.89 diff in my 2L Vitesse and can get into and cruise around in 4th from about 1200rpm (20mph). If the traffic is light its fine around town although of course you do have to be gentle with the throttle. However I think what would do the most damage in your case is if youre forced to drop down to 3rd gear to get up a long fast hill....