Air lock in heater

iana

I’m sure I’ve read a post on here about airlocked heatets however I can’t find it.

I’ve been busy getting the cars ready for a couple of shows and decided to change the antifreeze in the vitesse as it was too weak a mixture, anyways all changed and refilled now can’t get the heater to run warm air so I’m assuming an airlock somewhere - any simple tips to unblock?

If you get any further problems take off the top hose from the heater control valve when the engine is ticking over but not hot. Can be a bit messy, true, but this is the well known air lock point which caused me no end of trouble and is usually the point to clear by Johny's method. Sadly never worked for me. I got a little damp.

Here's my DIY Vitesse Heater Bleed Valve, a 1/2in Yorkshire Tee with soldered in spigot pipes/bend and a brass threaded insert in the offtake with brass bolt inserted just loosen to bleed system and its higher than any other fitting.

Idea sourced from a Renault R8 Gordini I had in Montreal in 67, whilst building a BP oil refinery there! 

Vitesse Heater Bleed Valve.JPG

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Here is an old truck to avoid air locks.  When you have drained the system for whatever reason. Start the car up let it idle and fill up the system as it runs, works every time I guarantee it.  

andrew

I do that; if you lightly rev the engine with the rad cap off the coolant level drops so whilst it's down, top it up. Let it idle, if the level is still not overflowing then rev again and pour more in. On my Herald I also undo the top heater hose and hold it vertical whilst pouring coolant in, then refit it whilst losing as little coolant as possible. Just make sure the heater valve is open.