Heerald 1200 Oil Pressure Gauge 'T' Piece

Colin

Chaps,

Back from a trip to Geneva, where I was donated an oil pressure gauge (the chap knowning about my oil warning light issue not so long ago).

Bought a Rimmer 'T' piece so I can keep the warning light alive, too.

Now please refer to the photo. 

The 'T' piece end of the middle union shown, fits perfectly into the 'T' piece. 

The nut/pipe assembly (right) that will fit into the flexible hose which leads to the gauge also has that same thread (I have tried it both ways round).

However - the nut/pipe assembly (right) will not thread onto the right hand portion of the middle union - it must have a different thread.

I have asked Rimmers what thread the 'T' piece has internally - but they can't tell me - so I can't specify which union I need at any other outlet.

Can anyone please tell me what thread union I need - or from where to get one, such that I can use this gift?

Obviously at the moment, I am being sold complete guage sets, or piping on its own; and that starts another set of questions about which nut & thread is on the the back of the gauge that I'd rather not get into!

Cheers as usual, all.

Best,

Colin.

Oil 'T' Piece & Union.jpg

1 minute ago, NonMember said:

I think the T-piece is 1/8 NPT but the feed to the gauge is usually not. I suspect on modern gauges it's a metric fine but who knows what on an older one. The male-male adapter is supposed to be a thread converter to match it.

That makes sense. So what thread is a modern metric car sender? I have looked on eBay & most say M14 X 1.5. Poss worth a try

Thanks chaps.

All good suggestions!

Non-Member, if by "the feed to the gauge is usually not", you mean the nut right on the back of the gauge, certainly mine is not - it is much smaller.

Cheers All.

Now - how to find such a union . . . 🤔

3 minutes ago, Colin said:

Thanks chaps.

All good suggestions!

Non-Member, if by "the feed to the gauge is usually not", you mean the nut right on the back of the gauge, certainly mine is not - it is much smaller.

Cheers All.

Now - how to find such a union . . . 🤔

If you use eBay there are lots of different combinations of adapters. Found different m & f combinations from 1/8 NPT to M14x 1.5, M16x1.5 & M10x1.0

Just searched on oil pressure gauge adapters

3 minutes ago, Colin said:

Have ordered one male-to-male 1/8 NPT adaptor from Amazon.

Will see tomoz if it is what I need!!

I never thought I would say this even 10 years ago but isn't Amazon wonderful....next day delivery! 

Best of luck Colin. 

Iain 

Thanks Iain!

'Though I note the 'nipple' adaptor (as I think they're called), has (on the end I can't connect) a small hole drilled through its cap - which would connect to the pipe connector which fits within its compression nut - pics follow

T elements exploded.jpg

Just to 'close' this thing off (fitting & correct operation aside), here is the double-ended connector (1/8 NSP) I've been banging on about. I have had to use the nickel plated, brass spacer (I'm glad I ordered), so that the solid pipe to flexible makes a tight seal in its nut. I'll test in the engine bay first - not sure if I'll use any PTFE tape at any of the joints. And, I'll deffo run it via a stout rubber grommet and find a blanking plug tocarry, should anything untoward happen in the future.

PS:- I do not need to use the copper eashers shown!!

20220609_173234.jpg

20220609_173136.jpg

Pete Lewis - yes, it is! I was thinking of bolstering that push fit with an electrical tie at appropriate junctures (the flexible pipe also seems to have its own push fit connection half way down! Obviously if I leccy tie that, it'd just crush the piping!

Unkel Kunkel:- I have just ordered a BSP version for a couple of quid and will advise the fit differences I detect between NSP & BSP.

It's all a bit of a learning curve, these connections.

Continued thanks, guys.