Speedo ratios.

Wagger

57 minutes ago, Wagger said:

I was using a satnav at the time. Set the car at 60 cruise and the satnav read 57. OK, sanavs work on linear distance ignoring gradients so will read slower anyway, even if the speedo is true. I have always found my BMW speedos to be quite close to reality and that is accross four models in twenty years. That's Germans for you.

Maybe that's why so many BMWs seem to be driven at high speed. Their owners assume the Speedo is under reading but it's not 😁

Mercedes don`t seem to be particulary accurate. Mine reads 50, using the limiter, sat-nav read`s 47. As pete said Taco`s are recalibrated on a regular basis. Had one go bandit on me once, noticed I was doing near 70 on the M180, I had to write to the traffic commisioners and "explain" with a copy of the repair report!.

Beemer drivers, round here, definitely do not know what indicators are!, those of the female persuasion seem worst.

Pete

14 minutes ago, PeteH said:

Mercedes don`t seem to be particulary accurate. Mine reads 50, using the limiter, sat-nav read`s 47. As pete said Taco`s are recalibrated on a regular basis. Had one go bandit on me once, noticed I was doing near 70 on the M180, I had to write to the traffic commisioners and "explain" with a copy of the repair report!.

Beemer drivers, round here, definitely do not know what indicators are!, those of the female persuasion seem worst.

Pete

I think that it depends upon which particular models. I had a 2002tii, (Rocket ship) a 2500 saloon (Motorway cruiser), a 525e (Old man's cruiser, a 330D and a 530D (both ecomomical rocket ships). Now a 520D (economical workhorse). I loved the straight sixes that's why I have a Vitesse. Had a five cylinder Audi A6 Avant, (Lovely car). Round here it is tuned hot hatches that annoy everyone with their booming and banging exhausts. Mostly not BMW's.

I believe that the Vitesse CV inspired BMW to produce the 3 series (E30) cabrio. It was the first six cylinder CV after the Vitesse and almost as pretty.

20 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

just he tolerance means we're not as quick as you think  Ha !

Pete

now you have to look out for the yellow   rectangular box on the side of the gantry   there's not a lot of blue's around these days 

HADECS_3_cameras.jpg

Yes, very true. In the good old days the patrol cars would hide somewhere waiting to pounce on the unwary. At least they paint these things yellow.

Anyway, back then, if I was in a real hurry, I would wait for some expensive or sporty looking car to come hurtling past in the outside lane, the sort that the boys in blue seemed to relish stopping. Ideally it would have it's headlights on and a constant overtaking indicator.

Then I would speed up and tail him from a distance, just keeping him in sight and working on the principle that if he saw a police car or any other hazard I would see brake lights come on, and if he didn't notice I would see them pulling out after him lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2022 at 10:59, cliff.b said:

Yes, very true. In the good old days the patrol cars would hide somewhere waiting to pounce on the unwary. At least they paint these things yellow.

Anyway, back then, if I was in a real hurry, I would wait for some expensive or sporty looking car to come hurtling past in the outside lane, the sort that the boys in blue seemed to relish stopping. Ideally it would have it's headlights on and a constant overtaking indicator.

Then I would speed up and tail him from a distance, just keeping him in sight and working on the principle that if he saw a police car or any other hazard I would see brake lights come on, and if he didn't notice I would see them pulling out after him lol

My Dad called that kind of car a "rabbit" like in greyhound races...

• Haha 1