Rear bearing

cliff.b

Drove my Spit with the hood up yesterday and noticed a slight "rumbling" noise that I can't hear with the hood down. Decided I would check the diff oil, which was a bit low but noticed there was lots of black grease on the NS trunnion, spreading out from the inner seal. I pumped some more in but today I felt around the grease nipple and it was pretty hot, while the other side, that isn't leaking grease, was just warm.

Am I right in guessing this is a wheel bearing on the way out?

14 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

In my experience, they definitely get noisier but I changed mine in advance of any break down. My Dad made me a hub puller and instructed me in what to do as I was a pimply faced youth at the time.

There is other work I want to carry out in that area and it would make sense to do it all at once, but I don't have the time at the moment.

So wondering if I can leave it for a while 🤔

By the time you changed yours, would you have been able to hear it with the roof down?

2 minutes ago, johny said:

hmmm bearing failure can be a downward spiral as temperature goes up, grease runs out, bearing gets drier and then runs hotter etc etc

Yes, that's what I was guessing. I covered about 160 miles at the weekend, about half of that on the motorway. I have only noticed this since then and wondering if now I have greased it again, it might cope with my more usual pottering about.

Got to hope grease doesnt come out into the brake area either when greasing or driving. Hopefully the bearing was dry and some grease will have helped it so you could go for a run then feel the temperature of the housing on return?

44 minutes ago, johny said:

Got to hope grease doesnt come out into the brake area either when greasing or driving. Hopefully the bearing was dry and some grease will have helped it so you could go for a run then feel the temperature of the housing on return?

Decided to do just that.

I pumped my grease gun about 20 times & old grease started coming out of the seal at the shaft end. Pumped another 20 times but didn't get new grease yet. So assuming there was some grease in there but maybe not enough.

Out for a run and just stopped after about 5 miles. The trunnion is quite hot, but the end of the drive shaft is very hot. The other side is just warm.

How hot was the brake drum? If the brakes are binding on that side, the heat generated will be conducted through the drum to the hub to the shaft to the bearing, where it can liquify the grease and make it run out. A failed bearing heats from the hub out, so the drum tends to be cooler.

11 minutes ago, cliff.b said:

Decided to do just that.

I pumped my grease gun about 20 times & old grease started coming out of the seal at the shaft end. Pumped another 20 times but didn't get new grease yet. So assuming there was some grease in there but maybe not enough.

Out for a run and just stopped after about 5 miles. The trunnion is quite hot, but the end of the drive shaft is very hot. The other side is just warm.

Ahhh the excess grease is designed to come out inside the drum not the shaft end (unless the inner seal has been installed the wrong way round). Its why its recommended to grease with the drum off but dont worry it shouldnt just squirt out and contaminate everything in there as theres a cover plate that directs the excess downwards.

Anyway sounds like bearing isnt good as I take it the temperature was not the same on both sides of the car and so not coming from the brakes?

Back home now and inspecting further.

The drum isn't excessively hot & more grease has come out the shaft end.

I'm certain the bearing is shot now as I have been turning the hub over by hand with a wheel brace and it feels rough. Occasionally much rougher briefly with more force needed to turn it. Think I need to replace asap 😒

• Like 1

do check when turning a hanging shaft it is not rubbing on the chassis and giving you a false feeling /noise 

the key is normally reclaimable  but a spare is a good plan 

hub puller  definitley   once the hub is off you can mallet the shaft out of the bearing/housing 

on refit drift the shaft in to start the hub nut and let the hub nut torqued up to position the bearing as it all gets pulled together 

Pete

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, johny said:

Ahhh the excess grease is designed to come out inside the drum not the shaft end (unless the inner seal has been installed the wrong way round).

Not actually true. The inner seal is designed to be fitted in what you consider "the wrong way round" because it's more important to keep water out than to keep all the grease in. So when you grease it, the excess emerges from that inner seal, where it's more immediately obvious than if it had to come out of the flinger/cover/drain hole arrangement on the brake backplate.

I did buy a whole used assembly from Spitbits for £85 ish before I’d bought my hub puller. It came with a decent length warranty too. If you need a new axle, the second hand option might be worth considering.

Also, if you’re able, while you have the brake backplate off weld up any wear where the handbrake lever sits and where the handbrake return spring hooks on. (And if you don’t weld I’d be happy to fix a spare up and do you a swap)

38 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Not actually true. The inner seal is designed to be fitted in what you consider "the wrong way round" because it's more important to keep water out than to keep all the grease in. So when you grease it, the excess emerges from that inner seal, where it's more immediately obvious than if it had to come out of the flinger/cover/drain hole arrangement on the brake backplate.

As above both, seals should be fitted with lips towards differential, I always pump grease in untill clean grease comes out of the inner seal when lubricating the rear bearings. If you have grease coming out in the brake drum the outer seal is faulty or fitted the wrong way around.

Regards

Paul.

• Like 1

Your right of course, looking at the manual the design is such that any excess grease should be expelled from the inner seal although being a double seal it could offer some resistance so its still a good idea to keep an eye on the drum side seal while greasing👍  

51 minutes ago, Josef said:

I did buy a whole used assembly from Spitbits for £85 ish before I’d bought my hub puller. It came with a decent length warranty too. If you need a new axle, the second hand option might be worth considering.

Also, if you’re able, while you have the brake backplate off weld up any wear where the handbrake lever sits and where the handbrake return spring hooks on. (And if you don’t weld I’d be happy to fix a spare up and do you a swap)

Many thanks. I have a look at it when I take it off 👍