Rear bearing

cliff.b

15 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i said happy motoring for now      

its  a Triumph  something somewhere just has to leak  

Pete

Just a thought, if grease is escaping through the outer seal more easily than it should, does that mean there's a risk the inner needle bearing may not be adequately greased?

I wouldnt worry about it Cliff, the inner seal is a beefy double and can be quite tight - air can escape but when grease gets to it pressure can build up and tend to push it out of the other conventional seal. Also remember, as Pete said, the maintenance schedule requires a few shots of grease not pumping until it comes out....

2 minutes ago, johny said:

I wouldnt worry about it Cliff, the inner seal is a beefy double and can be quite tight - air can escape but when grease gets to it pressure can build up and tend to push it out of the other conventional seal. Also remember, as Pete said, the maintenance schedule requires a few shots of grease not pumping until it comes out....

Ok, I will stop worrying 😱

22 hours ago, johny said:

Moisture testing should be in the MOT test! Well I see Spain (and rest of EU?) is now insisting that the tyres on an axle must be identical so why not?

Its got to be same make, model, size and pattern so you damage a tyre and cant find exactly the same one you chuck both - great for the environment and of course the tyre manufacturers...  

I Think.. It is already a requirement in France?. Maybe just for "heavy" vehicles?.

Pete

Obviously must be but there is a 70 Koh max speed on emergency/temp run flat tyres.

A friend has just brought a new Merc E300 with only 4 run flat tyres wife ran over road debris and got 2 flats they cannot/not allowed to be repaired 2 new tyres cost nearly $1800. I could get 5 Michelin (cheap 40 percent discount) for around $1000 but he would have to get new wheels and a jack so it’s a job for the future say at 30k klm mark. Car has a spare wheel place in the boot.

Merc would do the conversion for him $3k

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Obviously must be but there is a 70 Koh max speed on emergency/temp run flat tyres.

A friend has just brought a new Merc E300 with only 4 run flat tyres wife ran over road debris and got 2 flats they cannot/not allowed to be repaired 2 new tyres cost nearly $1800. I could get 5 Michelin (cheap 40 percent discount) for around $1000 but he would have to get new wheels and a jack so it’s a job for the future say at 30k klm mark. Car has a spare wheel place in the boot.

Merc would do the conversion for him $3k

On my german estate, the spare wheel well is deep but not large enough in dia for a full sized spare unless it is bald or deflated. I had to fit a lower profile wider tyre and check the rolling radius when fitted, adusting pressure as required. Still tying to wear out the run flats but at 4000 miles/year will have to wait until they are too old instead.

Since carrying a spare, no punctures. There really is some joker around hiding in the ether.

• 2 weeks later...

Out for a drive today and now covered 100+ miles since replacing the damaged shaft/bearings & the UJ. All feels smooth, can't hear any unexpected noises & both bearings barely warm so hoping the jobs a good'un 🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Good   But   if you cant hear anything  ...............  sumats  wrong 

Pete

I didn't say there weren't any noises, just not from that area lol.

Now the alternator is another matter 🙄