Correct anti freeze

Paul H

My Vitesse was dry stored with no water in it at all for seven years. It did have oil in the sump.

My son filled it with the 'New' pinky coloured stuff and I have had no problems in two years. Don't mix the Pink stuff with the Blue stuff. If all of yours is blue, it should be ok to mix. Look at the contents if they are disclosed.

The pink stuff is safe for aluminium, iron and copper, I believe. It should say on the container. I am not sure that the blue stuff is safe fo aluminium. Again, it should say on the label.

• Thanks 1

As Colin says, the blue stuff was what the cars used. If your system still has some in, try syringing some out for testing. It may be rusty though, so very confusing.

Some of my mates used to taste it. Most of them are now deceased! They tasted, consumed or smoked anything. Can't ask them what it should taste of either.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Wagger said:

As Colin says, the blue stuff was what the cars used. If your system still has some in, try syringing some out for testing. It may be rusty though, so very confusing.

Some of my mates used to taste it. Most of them are now deceased! They tasted, consumed or smoked anything. Can't ask them what it should taste of either.

It's sweet and kills cats. Seriously!! People have been known to poison stray cats by putting out a saucerful, and they like the sweet taste so will drink it, then die.

Aye, and some poor cats have drunk it off the garage floor or car port when there has been a leak. I had an Aunt who was caught drinking the old TVO (Tractor Vaporising Oil) way back in the 1920's. She is in her late nineties living in Australia. Where is that Vintage tractor pal?

3 hours ago, Wagger said:

Aye, and some poor cats have drunk it off the garage floor or car port when there has been a leak. I had an Aunt who was caught drinking the old TVO (Tractor Vaporising Oil) way back in the 1920's. She is in her late nineties living in Australia. Where is that Vintage tractor pal?

Don't know about the tractor but over here we'd refer to anyone staggering home from the pub as "well-oiled"... :)

My car had been off the road for about 30 years. After a couple of years in my ownership I wanted to do something about the “black” antifreeze. Following advice from the forum I flushed it twice using Soda Crystals, available from supermarkets. Radiator and block now show a nice luminescent green, Prestone inorganic, bought when on offer at Tesco.

2 hours ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Radiator and block now show a nice luminescent green, Prestone inorganic, bought when on offer at Tesco.

Mine too, I bought four 5L containers of the stuff when they reduced it to £7 each. Then I saw it in another branch and bought two only to find it was reduced for Clubcard only, so that cost me £28. Still good stuff for finding leaks, though.

• Like 1