Battery for a GT6

Alan C

Hi Everyone

My Lincon vintage look battery has finally given up the ghost. The voltage has dropped to 10.35V after fully charging it and leaving it disconnected overnight.

What are the current thoughts on the best period looking battery for a GT6? I'm not after a modern unit so that will limit my options somewhat.

Cheers

Alan

• 1 month later...

+1 from me!

I had a bunch of problems with a small battery in my GT6 Mk1 (including replacement of a perfectly good starter). It looked very good, but it was just too weak (40Ah, but only ~325CCA). I now run a Bosch S5 52Ah 520CCA that fits comfortably into the tray, and, when fully charged, cranks the engine very positively even in cold weather. I'm sure a cheaper one (e.g., Bosch S3) would do just as well, but I wouldn't get one that has less than ~450CCA. If anyone can recommend something that has that kind of performance but also looks good, I'd be all over it!

Hi,

I beg to differ,

The type 75 or type 75T is the battery to fit.

Its slightly wider and fits a treat.

The type 63 is normally less energy than the type 75 and less than the type 75T.

Why would you fit a type 63 when a bigger and more powerful type 75 fits?

Cheers,

Iain.

PS. I am talking about Spitfire 1500 and GT6 MK3 fitment.

But Pete did mention economic, 063 about 20% cheaper, and if that doesn't have enough juice to start a Triumph then it really does have issues! I have used 063 for years in all my Triumphs (exception is my dolomite/toledo which has a tiny space so only an 038 will fit) but also in my Mx5, proper mini and when the battery in our Zafira died, I borrowed the one from the spitfire for a few days....

063 a bit lighter too....(may have to borrow the Toldeo battery for Santa Pod, save a few KG's!!)

Hi Pete,

I'm sorry but I disagree with you. for the following reasons:

The battery is used to start the car. The more power it can supply the quicker the car will start.

Once the engine is running the car will replace the energy that has been lost by starting, A higher capacity battery might require less charge.

A car battery should not be cycled under normal conditions. Cycling a car battery of any size will destroy it. End of life will be sooner with a lower capacity one.

I recommend the type 75 over the 63 as it has a lower internal resistance and has more capacity. A win/win if it fits, and it does.

If you have a type 63, good, it you need to change due to failure, look at the type 75.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Thanks 1

By cycling I dont mean fully discarge and recharge, my school was the whole plate area needs to be in reasonalbly constant use, if the highs and lows of normal use leaves vast areas chemically unchanged the capacity soon dies as the cells degrade

we will have to see who has the first dead cell Ha !

Pete

Hi,

Unfortunately I have lost too many brain cells over the years. :)

Not all batteries are the same capacity, a good clue is the weight/mass. Its quite normal for a manufactory to fit a "standard" lead plates into many different cases; keeps costs down.

So, if you buy a type 75 and it weighs the same as a type 63, guess what.

Check the weight/mass and bigger is better IMHO.

Cheers,

Iain.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I bought a Halfords Advanced battery today for my GT6 (440 CCA & 50Ah rather than the rather shoddy 250 CCA & 35Ah I had before which was leaking). The power at start up is amazing in comparison and the idle speed is much more stable even when the Kenlow kicks in. £69 well spent I think.

• Like 1