Vitesse price

micmak

Hi Folks, 

I am a newbie here!  I have never owned a Triumph, but I always liked the Herald/Vitesse.  I always hoped that someday, I’d get a Vitesse.  Then unexpectedly last week I kinda stumbled upon one that will be for sale soon.  It is a 1968 convertible Vitesse.  It has been completely restored.  I have seen pics of it in various states of restoration, and it looks like it had been completely stripped down, treated and rebuilt. The paintwork is not as good as the seller would like, so he is planning on a respray before he sells it. He will be asking somewhere in the region of €15K or €16K.  My question to you guys is, how much would a good ’68 convertible Vitesse fetch?  Is his asking price reasonable?  I know nothing about these cars, but I hope to learn quickly. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice, please?

Thanks.

…..Mick…..

Welcome to the madhouse Mick. Personally I would negotiate some sort of discount without the respray. Then you can go over the bodywork and deal with any problems that you find, sort them, and then have the paint job done to your satisfaction. As for buying price (price in Euros noted) other Vitesse owners here will hopefully advise. If you have pictures please post them to assist.

1 hour ago, micmak said:

He will be asking somewhere in the region of €15K or €16K.

Always remember, he can ask whatever he wants! If the restoration was some time ago, you should be able to negotiate downwards. Pictures please....

£15 or £16k is top dollar for a Vitesse, but the respray would need to be full and thorough not just a blow-over... for that sort of money I'd worry that it needed repainting at all. If it's completely rebuilt and fully resprayed... possibly for that price, but it all depends on what has been done and to what standard.

Start checking the small ads, Gumtree or eBay, and see what the comparable prices are. At present on eBay there are three convertibles ranging from £2600 to £12000, one quite nice model going for about £6000, so you need to know what makes top value and what the current market is paying.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334481971991?hash=item4de0addb17:g:jK8AAOSw9X9indde

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115413856404?hash=item1adf33b094:g:FZQAAOSwU1BisrF1

As Colin said, that is top money for a Vitesse,i think my 1968 MK 1 CV Vitesse is at 12k agreed value, but if i sold it (I won`t) i wouldn`t get near that, as a non original with a 2.5 engine and rotoflex CV shaft conversion it would need the right buyer.

Be wary of recent restorations as people often find that things weren`t done properly after buying, it needs a thorough inspection before handing over that much money.

Pics please.

Steve

Definitely need pictures. To inspect a car thoroughly is very tricky. Mine has had a rear end shunt at some time. Disguised by floor matting glued to the boot floor. There again, we did not pay much for it and it is roadworthy after spending half as much again as we paid. It is possible to get a drive-able car for £5k that you do not mind being scuffed in car parks etc. A pristine one can be a liability if you want to use it often.

You need to decide whether you want to work on it or drive it. I like a bit of both but some go one way or the other. Your state of health must be in the equation too. I was ok at 65, not so at 72.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys for all the comments.  I think the asking price might be a bit too high.  My problem is that I really don’t KNOW the Vitesse at all. I like them, but I don’t know them.  I need to learn more about them. I will look around for a while and see what’s out there before making any decision.  

Thanks!

.....Mick.....

Hi Mick , you could join the club . That’s the way I found my Vitesse through the club adverts . The price will depend on what work you are prepared to do . You should be able to get a reasonable Vitesse for about £8k . Overdrive is preferable and if a saloon a sunroof is a bonus ( for me anyway ) 

7812E3B7-ED79-4063-9AF5-57522766265E.thumb.jpeg.65cea91df52d6596b50b96e46cbb6649.jpeg

Paul 

Ahhhhh. The Vitesse. How I wish I had one again. But piggy bank says not poss.

As a part of getting to 'know' them one aspect with which to get familiar is the panel fit and alignment. A skilled matter to get right. Just for example the red car below was sold at auction: All lovely and shiny BUT the bonnet doesn't fit well. Compare with a period photo and just how prim the panel fit is.

Plenty of other things to get to know but I'd put panel alignment as a significant factor in the 'what's it worth' equation.

1970_triumph_vitesse_6 copy.jpg

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 12.59.26.png

22 minutes ago, chrishawley said:

Compare with a period photo

Always remember that most period photos will be of "press cars". These were (and still are) specially prepared, practically hand-built examples with all of the common production issues ironed out. That's not to say the ordinary cars left the factory like that red one, but they probably weren't as good as the white one with the significant distraction included for good measure.

16 minutes ago, DanMi said:

was the panel gap really that good on the normal cars coming off the production line rather than the press cars?

Those are terrible at the b-post, unless her weight is pressing the car downwards... :)

TSSC Northern Ireland meets in Newtownabbey and whilst not wanting to push Mick towards any other Club - he's very welcome in ours! - there is a large Triumph fraternity down in Dublin:

https://tcocirl.ning.com

Thanks Guys.  Yes, the panel alignment is something that I always noticed about the Herald and Vitesse.  With the whole front opening up as it does, I figured it kinda lends itself to easily be strained.  And I looked at that alignment on every Herald or Vitesse I ever saw through the years.  I have a DeLorean and a Corvette, so I am well aware of how panel alignment can make a car look almost as if it had been in a collision, and badly repaired.  I’ll check out tcocirl as Colin suggested.  I am actually located in Wexford not Dublin.  I accidentally clicked Dublin when I was registering! 

.....Mick.....

25 minutes ago, micmak said:

I asked the seller if I could see the car and he agreed.  He sent me a few pics too. He said that the hubcaps are back on since these pics were taken.  Opinions, or comments please?

Vitesse1 3.47 MB · 5 downloads Vitesse2 4.06 MB · 1 download Vitesse3 3.7 MB · 0 downloads Vitesse4 5.81 MB · 0 downloads

Can’t see your pics

Paul

44 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

well its neat but the cold air intake tubes are missing 

a1+ still gives ainsurrance valuation of £14.5K

you only get concours if it has been entered into and approved as  concours condition 

Pete

Pete 

No cold air Inlet tubes originally fitted on the 2 Litre Mk1 Vitesse's (Although it is a good idea to fit them)

It looks a very nice example, good panel fit and an excellent looking interior with sensible upgraded MGF Leather seats with Headrests

It needs some Hub caps/Wheel trims fitting though (Or Alloys)

Is the Owner going to get the car resprayed before sale?

Gary

Hi Guys, 

Thank you Badwolf for sorting out the pics.   

Pete Lewis: Thanks for your comment.  If the insurance valuation would put it around £14.5K, that’s almost €17K Euros.  So his asking price of €15 or €16 is pretty much where it should be. 

Gary Flinn: Thanks to you too for your comments.  The seller has the hubcaps, but to be honest, I’d like to put a set of alloys on later.  A nice set can really add to the eye-appeal of almost any car.   He originally talked about respraying it, but I think the current paint is ok.  So that will hopefully knock the price down a little too. 

Obviously these pics are from different times in the car’s life.  The first one has two spotlights while the last one has no spots. The first pic seems to have hubcaps, while the others do not.

The car is for sale by a classic car restorer.  He bought it partly restored, along with a pile of invoices and photos detailing the work that had already been done.  He then worked on it bit by bit when he had time.  I didn’t know he had this car until I mentioned, in passing, that I always wanted a Vitesse.  Then he told me about it.  He said that he wasn’t pleased with the paint finish, so he was hoping to respray it before selling.  I have not seen the car in person at all yet – I hope to see it tomorrow, but I wanted to ask you guys if the asking price was reasonable. But from the pics, the paint finish looks pretty good to me.

.....Mick.....