Vitesse boot carpet

Iain T

My car didn't come with a boot carpet so I'm on the hunt. Not sure if I want Hardura or black carpet and then it's which supplier. I know Newton's make both but any feedback or alternative suppliers? 

Cheers

Iain

on the Vit6   i used some nice green to match the cactus and cut from an offcut off the house carpet 

the 2000 has the same but its a biscuit colour    cheap easy to vac  and lasts looking good for years 

guess its very comfy if you happen to sleep in the boot !!!

Pete

I went for the best of both worlds; my boot mat came from Newtown but I also bought one of those large universal rubber boot mats (about £10 on eBay) that could be trimmed to fit. It goes over the 'good' boot mat to protect it. They're a large size so plenty of material to work with for the best fit.

8 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and you probably have loads of off cuts from previous  house carpet fitting in the loft   just in case you need it (you never do need it )

The Boot Floor Needs it !!!  Now 

Pete

I do have a large pile of left-over wooden floor... maybe do the dash to match and have both in beech?

Anyway all my old carpet, including any that is removed or leftovers from fitting new, goes to the garage and the Triumphs park on it. It's allegedly good for the tyres, better than a bare concrete floor, and only when really grotty does it go to the skip.

Thanks for replies, I want the boot covering to be durable and also to hopefully reduce some of the din from the phoenix wheelbarrow exhaust. 

I like Colin's idea of a double cover. 

Living in an apartment we have to be ruthless with 'stuff' and don't accumulate any large things that could be useful whenever......the wife keeps wanting to put me in the recycle bin! 

Iain 

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

This is the one I went for; quite thin rubber so easy to work with but plenty of scope for trimming and adapting for the Herald boot.

The one I chose as I don't want to pay fortunes! 

Thanks

Iain 

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

You'll be lucky to NI! 

Yes, the latest argument was with a parts supplier in Germany who wanted to charge VAT to a UK address. However: that nightmare of a Northern Ireland protocol is supposed to mean that we're in both the EU and the UK at the same time so get the best of both worlds, or so the politicians claim. Theoretically it should be EU to EU then... but no. The supplier states that goods to NI must pass through the UK first so we get VAT added on. It seems UK firms treat us as if we're in the EU and EU firms treat us as if we're in the UK.

Remember that song: "Nobody's child?" It comes to mind a lot these days.

My Vitesse mk2 , one previous owner,  had an original ribbed rubber boot floor covering, fixed in place with poppers. Couple of other Vitesse's I have owned had remnants and tatters of the rubber Matt left. All Vitesse's and probably Heralds have the male popper screwed to the boot floor for this purpose. I made a couple of exact copies with almost identical ribbed rubber, as my original, minus the original smooth border. The original had started to disintegrate. Don't know if carpet was ever an option, but I would guess not.

IMG_7561.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Free postage too.

If you read the writing there is confusion. On the one hand it says free postsge. On the other that it is free collection or arrange you own courier. I think that this is a dodgy/weird one for the Heroes/Villains thread.

So I've made my mind up I'm following Colin's lead and ordering some black carpet, James Paddock seem to be good on price, as well as the rubber mat. Next how to fit. The PO had Jigsaw spray the boot floor with underseal, I think he wanted it to look like a rally car, so the surface is not flat. I don't want to drill any holes for fixing and obviously need to lift it up to access the spare wheel. My guess is with the weight of some essential boot stuff the trimmed to fit carpet will not move? What to do about the seat back? Make that a separate part? 

Iain 

The carpet won't move if it's well cut, there's nowhere for it to go! Mine has poppers along the front edge but some good self-adhesive velcro will keep it in place especially along the spring tunnel. I replaced the vertical boot board with one I made myself, just painted in blackboard black paint, and it's getting no other covering. I do have one of those long 'boot tidy' thingies from LIDL, and so might mount it there as it stretches from side to side across the panel. Handy for stuffing essentials in.

• Thanks 1

The carpet from Paddock arrives today. Great service again as I only ordered it yesterday midday with standard delivery. 

I'll let you all know if it fits. I bet the club and Paddock buy from the same supplier. The rubber mat should arrive tomorrow. 

Iain