Vitesse boot carpet

Iain T

I take it you mean the rubber mat which I'll need to trim to size? If the carpet fits nicely I'll use it as a pattern for the rubber mat.

Iain 

Looking at the lines in the mat I can see how you can fit front to back! 

On 17/07/2022 at 21:19, Mark B said:

My Vitesse mk2 , one previous owner,  had an original ribbed rubber boot floor covering, fixed in place with poppers. Couple of other Vitesse's I have owned had remnants and tatters of the rubber Matt left. All Vitesse's and probably Heralds have the male popper screwed to the boot floor for this purpose. I made a couple of exact copies with almost identical ribbed rubber, as my original, minus the original smooth border. The original had started to disintegrate. Don't know if carpet was ever an option, but I would guess not.

IMG_7561.jpg

Interesting, I guess around 1968 with the Vitesse Mk2 and Herald 13/60's they changed to a rubber mat.

My one previous owner 1965 Herald 12/50 has a fibre backed hardura mat, almost the same as the Newtons one but without the edge trim found on the repro item.

I don't think a carpet mat was ever a factory option

JJ

The Paddock carpet fitted once I'd cut a bit more out the side for the petrol tank bracket. I haven't velcro'd it down yet. The only problem is the 175 wide spare tyre makes a bulge in the carpet as it sits higher than the floor pan. I might think about some thick insulation to help it look better and also reduce the exhaust din. 

IMG_20220720_140623.jpg

IMG_20220720_140635.jpg

IMG_20220720_141836.jpg

On 19/07/2022 at 11:16, Iain T said:

I take it you mean the rubber mat which I'll need to trim to size? If the carpet fits nicely I'll use it as a pattern for the rubber mat.

Iain 

Looking at the lines in the mat I can see how you can fit front to back! 

No, the actual black carpet from Newtown Commercial!! I mistook the shaped bit for the petrol tank as being for one of the wheelarches, set it in place, admired it for a bit, then went on to other things. A week or so later I was back to the boot, took it out again, and went... hang on....  :)

Yours is looking good, though!

• Thanks 1

This isn't a Newton carpet, it did say who made it but I can't remember 🤪. The rubber mat didn't arrive today do should be here tomorrow. It does look much better than black knobbly underseal. 

Did you notice the boot lid signature of Terry Hunter Triumph works driver. Came with the car and noted in the documents that came with it. 

Iain 

31 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

here is (was)  my lounge carpet............  its under cover 

pete

Vit6 2009 007.jpg

I know all of us keep a whole load of spares 'in case' in the boot but i think you have gone a little too far . . .

No definitley   not a spare part to be seen     just picnic stuff  

there might be an odd bulb under the spare wheel , i dont carry  any spares  

i always have faith  that  when you go out you come home  .thats worked well  for me since  1962

Pete

19 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Took Pete days with the Autosol to make it shine like that

I can see his reflection in the kettle! 

The only extras I normally put in the boot is an extra chair when the wife accompanies me and a fold away table. I'm on the hunt for a good scissor jack instead of the small trolley as the extra weight is reducing performance😂😂

Iain 

you cant beat a good fresh brew up and bacon buttie 

we did this at a silverstone classic and Anglia news used us as a subject.."what are you doing"  they asked  

it really pee'd off the Porche's next to us then all the Triumphds had to form a curve and fire up 

but to select us having a fry up with all the cars they could have picked was a plus 

but i missed the TV as was on before we left 

happy days 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

you cant beat a good fresh brew up and bacon buttie 

I remember reading the most enticing meat smell for a veggie or vegan is frying bacon. Don't know if it's true but it hits the spot for me! The big question is brown or red sauce or nothing. I'm in the nothing camp, I like my bacon naked..... 

Iain