Fuel pump for early Vitesse 2l Mk1

TRevver

The pump ordered from Paddocks arrived and doesn’t fit. Although the angle of the inlet can be adjusted by loosening the bolt on the top, the outlet only has a few possible positions governed by the screw holes clamping the two halves together - none of which are compatible with the original steel fuel pipe, which I really don’t want to have to change. So ironically the EASIEST fix looks like it will be replacing the valves in the original unit! The new one doesn’t look like a particularly good pump anyway, no prizes for guessing the country of origin.

Just rebuilding the pump and noticed the kit had two rubber gaskets. One is for sealing the glass bowl to the casing. The only use of the other one I can think of is for under the diaphragm on the bottom half of the casing (it seems to fit) but that would seem to block the air holes which I suppose are there to allow air flow assisting the diaphragm to move. Anyone got any ideas?

E87A0F1A-C327-44D0-9374-8ACC89DF8AA7.jpeg

60E03613-3DF4-4A0E-9B35-93B889AAF877.jpeg

That would also explain the fibre washer that goes on the top of the bolt for the newer style pump. 

Thanks for your help. Pump is back on and seems to be working ok. There are also some useful YouTube vids on rebuilding ac fuel pumps - partic this one 

If the pump diaphragm punctures fuel will leak into chamber underneath but as you can see in Trevver's previous photo there are drain holes in the base which should stop the fuel accumulating and running down the centre hole where it could enter the engine...

we had a situation on dodge/cmmer PB vas when they introduce a biased vent cap , parked up in the stock park with little fuel in the temperature built up the cap valve didnt open and the pressure overcomes the carb float , fuel ran into the bores and sunk into the sump  at night when it all cooled down it would allow venting back in and when the sun came up it all restarted again   end result was not from the fuel pump but you got half a sump of petrol in about a weeks storeage 

so dave are you having oil dilution ,  as depending on your type of pump its wont be complicated like the above but can be a failing fuel pump as the breather holes vary depends on pump maker 

pete

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2022 at 11:20, 68vitesse said:

When I refurbished my pump made some seals for the diaphragm stem from fuel pump diaphragm material off eBay, the pump was leaking some oil. Not available in any kit I could find but have since seen a few NOS on ebay.

Regards

Paul.

Yes, I've bought a couple on ebay and refurbed a 1600 fuel pump.