The NHS is not living with Covid, it's dying from it

JohnD

The editorial, written jointly by both the editors of the BMJ and the HMJ (Hospital Medical Journal).

As you may imagine from the title (above) it includes some strongly critical comments about the complacency of this Government.   

https://www.hsj.co.uk/coronavirus/the-nhs-is-not-living-with-covid-its-dying-from-it/7032824.article

Worth reading.

John

"Large sections of the public... are still not fully vaccinated."

That's not all due to Government complacency, unless you count failure to penalise those who refuse to be vaccinated or to take other measures. Boris Johnston was practically sacked due to breaches of Covid rules; others who steadfastly refuse to participate in any way at all seem untouchable.

Austria has abandoned compulsory vaccinations. They said even fines didn't convince the anti vaxers. The government ran ethnic adverts and encouragement from ethnic leaders but I'm not sure what effect it had. 

Please read the Editorial.   The point is not that people are vaccinated or are antivaxers, it is that the pandemic and the burden that has placed on the NHS has precipitated what could be a break down of the service's ability to deliver universal healthcare that has long been predicted.

JOhn

The demand for anything supplied FREE OF CHARGE will always end up exceeding capacity. 

Allow people to opt for their National Insurance contributions to be paid into private health schemes of their choice with their added personal contribution to the scheme dependent on the level of healthcare the patient demands. 

Qu1ckn1ck, so those who pay for private will not be able to use NHS A&E. That would be interesting to police?

Note private hospitals do not operate A&E department! Too costly.

Thanks John for the link, we have been seeing number raising. However government have stopped publishing data.

Be interesting how the new CON leader pays for the NHS\care when they remove the increase in NI that they voted for after promising tax cuts.

Seem we have out of sight out of mind with Clive now.

Graham

Just now, dougbgt6 said:

Boris Johnson was sacked lying, not the first time in his grubby career. 

Doug 

Well he's gone now and by God I wish you joy of his successor. I hope he turns out to be the saint everyone seems to think, no matter who he is, but we've already seen some of those trying to follow him lying their heads off too. 

Rishi is toooooo rich to be credible for the common voter.  He would fail. 

Truss looked  like a loser two weeks ago - but she may well get the ordinary person sympathy vote.

Boris did well because everybody likes a clown.  Having voted the clown in you then wanted  him to  act normally - so who got it wrong.

Look inwards.

Roger

Truss with be another Theresa May. 

Rishi may be wealthy, but at least he has the sense to say he can't cut taxes until the current global mess is sorted, which seems to be sensible to me. Besides, running a country is something you want to be done by somebody who understands money.

However, the conservatives have a pretty low chance of winning the next election, so it may be wise to drop out early in in proceedings, and bide your time.

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

...... everybody likes a clown.

I hate clowns!!! Will Truss turn out to be a Boris type clo(w)ne, especially with support from Mog & Doris (sic). Sorry, fed up of the whole thing but too important to ignore but stuck with more and more of it 'til September. What a way to run a contest.

3 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I think that's extremely unfair on May.

Possibly. May tried, and I think cared deeply. But didn't have the persona to push brexit through. That allowed Boris, full of persona but little substance, in. 

The most worry aspects of Truss is that she tries to impersonate Thatcher (but without the iron, just the M+S clothing) and seems, like Boris, to say whatever she thinks people want to hear. That does not bode well. But no doubt the Conservative Party members will much prefer her on a number of grounds.

11 minutes ago, clive said:

and seems, like Boris, to say whatever she thinks people want to hear.

Indeed, Truss was a staunch Remainer, but now a rabid Brexiteer, just what the Mogg faction want to hear. I suspect she is neither and only interested in the main chance.

I still encounter Mrs May in my local Waitrose, she is an extremely good constituency MP, she is honest and trustworthy, unlike Boris and Truss.

Doug

Truss was a Lib Dem then became a Con, then a remainer which change to a Brexiteer.

So basically follows trends to get where she wants to be.

Has no real ideas!

At least Richi say can't cut taxes which makes sense but Con voters do not want to hear that. May be their elderly voters have forgotten about the billions of debt we have, but then they will not around to pay it back.

Don't forget that Boris, Rees Mog and the gang will be sitting around plotting like with May. Plenty of in fighting and nothing for the country until the next election, which ever party wins.

Graham

17 minutes ago, Graham C said:

Truss was a Lib Dem then became a Con, then a remainer which change to a Brexiteer.

So basically follows trends to get where she wants to be.

Has no real ideas!

Standard issue politician then . .

Here's an interesting topic from today's news: monkey pox has now got 16000 victims and is being declared an epidemic. 2000 victims in the UK.

Do we start stockpiling protective equipment, set aside hundreds of empty beds, start to plan for hundreds / thousands / millions of cases which may worsen the strain on the NHS?

Will monkeypox spread and become fatal to those with underlying health conditions, or will it just drift away after a few thousand cases due to treatment? Will it be eradicated or will it be here for ever?

I don't know and at this moment the best guesses are all we have. If we spend millions on equipment that won't be needed, and start to employ extra staff that are never used, it's a waste and the public will complain and blame the Government. If we don't, and the numbers rise so that we're unprepared, the public will complain and blame the Government. Do we close the airports to keep new cases out? 

No doubt two years from now the clever people will be able to tell us what we should have done, as it's so obvious.

35 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

Why does it appear that we no longer have Isolation Hospitals ?

Because they are a "Ghost Drain", on NHS finances. They need maintaining, they need staffing, Staff have to be kept up to date with training, that training need is to-day far more complex than was perhaps necessary back in the 50`s for (say) Polio. (2 kids in our class where "isolated" back then).

The Isolation hospital here, was a former War time  WW1 POW camp adapted for the purpose!, having been used as a T-B isolation facility prior.  Can`t see to-days "snowflakes" putting up with that?. The best you could hope for is transportable units stored in old military sites and shipped to locations as needed, even that the maintenance cost would still exist?. We no longer have the "military" hospitals to fall back on. The "Cambridge" at Aldershot, where I received treatment back in the 80`s, for example, Is now a block of expensive posh flats!. That was well staffed by serving military personel, and part of the Defence budget, not the NHS.

I agree, Boris lost it by telling Porkies, BUT, I seriously doubt that anyone out there in political land would have made a better job of coping with the pandemic, getting the UK`s vaccination program however flawed, (if indeed it was) up and running. (and coping with CV-19 himself at one point, which as many on here can attest IS debilitating) I still believe that, however one feels about Brexit, not being bound by "EU rules" had the most marked effect on the UK`s ability to move faster. Huge beurocratic organisations (which the EU is) are far too sluggish to adapt quickly to changing factors. Convening a commitee to "assess the situation", whilst the ship is sinking, only means it will sink faster.

Pete