Re-Living My Youth Inspired - Cant beat the grin on your face on the Open Roads

• 1 month later...

Out in the rain this morning in the Sixfire (Maybe that should be a Spitesse?). This was a whim as I hadn't had an opportunity to get out at all in the last week. I took the GT6 down to Hungerford last Saturday which was nice. There was a Mercedes estate ahead of me on the return from there to Swindon and he wasn't hanging around. I was easily able to keep up with him though and clearly had an advantage through the curves near Whittonditch. The Spit ran really well too today. It has running lights in the grill but despite these, lorry drivers seem to have difficulty in spotting the car. Anyway, the sun is out here now and she's drying off and cooling down before I cover her up again. Loved every minute of these drives!

3 minutes ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

Out in the rain this morning in the Sixfire (Maybe that should be a Spitesse?). This was a whim as I hadn't had an opportunity to get out at all in the last week. I took the GT6 down to Hungerford last Saturday which was nice. There was a Mercedes estate ahead of me on the return from there to Swindon and he wasn't hanging around. I was easily able to keep up with him though and clearly had an advantage through the curves near Whittonditch. The Spit ran really well too today. It has running lights in the grill but despite these, lorry drivers seem to have difficulty in spotting the car. Anyway, the sun is out here now and she's drying off and cooling down before I cover her up again. Loved every minute of these drives!

Really pleased for you, it great when our cars do what is required. I have recently thought of having double Whip Ariel with Fluttering Flags on the Car for that attention / visibility. I was recetnly in a motorway services car park behind a van, when he suddenly went into reverse and I paniked and bibbed the horn. I thought he was going to reverse over me. I got and an apologised and explained that sports cars are low and hard to see.

• Like 1

Can I just make the observation, that M&S (mud and snow) tyres often have stiffer sidewalls or a different carcase construction. They are "favourite" with motorhome users who habitually take their campers in winter (Ski-ing) "en continent". Some UE countries have them as a "winter essential". That might reflect upon the handling too?.

Just a thought?

Pete

Not to forget van tyres, where I was sold four two or three years ago for the Herald by a local fitter who claimed they were no different from car tyres, but all he could get these days in 13". Another fitter told me last week the sidewalls are too hard - 8 ply - and there'll be no flex, so it will be very uncomfortable and may affect handling. I think the horse trailer just got four new tyres...