Voltage Regulator

Darren Groves

That's impressive!   :lol:  The thing is, did something else cause it? Regulators are pretty cheap on Ebay so replacing it is worth a shot. Brushes and diode pack are also cheap, brushes easily checked. I've replaced all three and it was pretty straight forward, the only thing that isn't are the bearings, a pig of a job that I wouldn't contemplate again!

Hello Darren, I rebuilt my Lucas alternernator 2years ago with a full kit from an outfit in Northern Ireland, (on ebay,) Mid-Ulster Rotating Electrics. Thoroughly recommend them, £21 for the full kit delivered, if I remember correctly, the next day. They also responded to an enquiry regarding the wiring within an hour with an emailed photo! Very helpful people. I'm sure there must be others...

Best regards, Derek.

P.S. website= www.rotatingelectrics.co.uk

Also note that the regulator comes in 2 and 3 wire versions. I'm told you only need 2 of the 3 wires on the 3 wire version to make it work. However having been fooled before I was careful to replaced to like for like.

Thanks, I did spot the difference, so should get the 2 wire version.

• 4 weeks later...

Lads,

I have a 13/60 with a dynamo. A new alternator is a bit beyond my budget at the mo. Is there an alternator from a relatively modern motor that I could use and if so what models or should I look for a certain rating and type?

Any help would be appreciated. I use the car all through the year but the journeys are short so the Dynamo can't really keep up when I use lights and heater fan.

Larry

Nothing really modern as most now use a multi-vee belt. 

However, a look on evilbay will reveal suitable candidates. Some adaptation usually required, but nothing too taxing.

Recently bought a daihatsu lightweight 60A jobbie for £25 delivered, but looking at nearest first is helpful.

Thanks Clive,

I'll check out what my local garage has. He usually has a few scrap motors lying around. Since the Herald is negative earth I presume it's just a straight swop?

The feed back to the battery will be a cable with around a 25amp capacity for an original dynamo set-up, I suspect any alternator off a scrapper will produce more than that so do ensure the cable(s) back to the battery are man enough. I used both the large spade connections on the back of my Lucas unit to double up the cables as it was rated at 45amp.