Jump to content

Clubs cancel Triumph and MG Weekend 2022 at Staffordshire County Showground. 


Jane
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

 

The 2022 Triumph and MG Weekend, due to be held over the weekend of 19-21 August, has been cancelled. 

 

The organising clubs, TSSC, MG Car Club and TR Register made the difficult decision to cancel the event due to experiencing a lack of ticket sales against a backdrop of sharply rising costs for holding the event. Ticket sales were 70% down on where they were this time last year. 

 

A spokesperson for the organising committee said, 

 

We are devastated to share this news. Last year, the TSSC, MG Car Club and TR Register all enjoyed award-winning success when the classic car community recognised the collaboration between the clubs as a true innovation within the community and all three clubs received accolades from the industry.  However, the cost of living, in particular fuel prices, and the backlog of holidays and other events after the pandemic have all influenced attendance levels this year. The organisers from each of the three clubs have therefore had to ensure that they are carrying out their duty to safeguard the financial stability of their respective car club.

 

The organising clubs have stated that all attendees, traders, and sponsors will be automatically issued with a full refund and that these are now being processed automatically with urgency. 

TSSC and Stag Owners’ Club members should contact their club directly. 

 

The TSSC, MG Car Club and TR Register will now focus on creating a series of celebratory events for next year in commemoration of the centenaries of both the Triumph and MG car brands.

 

A questionnaire will be issued to club members in due course with the hope that feedback gained from that will better instruct organisers on what attendees and club members are looking for from events in the future. 

 

The Round Britain Relay for TS2, the first right-hand drive TR2 that has been travelling around the UK since April will now complete its tour at the Great British Car Journey Museum at Ambergate on the 18th of August. An invitation is open to all to welcome the iconic sports car back from its epic voyage at the Derbyshire based museum instead. Please see the TR Register’s website for more details.

 

The MG Car Club will be out in force at the British Motor Museum at Gaydon on 25th September for MGB 60, commemorating six decades of MG’s most successful model. Details via www.mgb60.com .

 

The Triumph Sports Six Club and Stag Owners’ Club will both have displays at The Classic, Silverstone over August Bank Holiday. 

 

Ticket holders are advised that all refunds for the Triumph and MG Weekend should be received by 8th August 2022 and an FAQs page and contact form has been set up on the website at www.triumphandmgweekend.com .

 

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 20.08.32.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

How very, very sad and disappointing. 

Very, given that I had ferry and accommodation already booked and paid for. Ticket sales.... what was the incentive to buy early, anyway? There was no massive saving - indeed was there any? - to make paying at the gate any great difficulty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

very disappointing or you all, we attended Stafford I think around 2007 on a UK trip and fully enjoyed it, I had been a club member for a few years then and were made welcome by the TSSC staff and others, we later visited the club offices whilst at Stafford I stacked up on those hard to get parts not attainable here in OZ.

Hope you can find other events to make up your summer Triumphant outings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jane said:

The Round Britain Relay for TS2, the first right-hand drive TR2 that has been travelling around the UK since April will now complete its tour at the Great British Car Journey Museum at Ambergate on the 18th of August. An invitation is open to all to welcome the iconic sports car back from its epic voyage at the Derbyshire based museum instead. Please see the TR Register’s website for more details.

The MG Car Club will be out in force at the British Motor Museum at Gaydon on 25th September for MGB 60, commemorating six decades of MG’s most successful model. Details via www.mgb60.com .

The Triumph Sports Six Club and Stag Owners’ Club will both have displays at The Classic, Silverstone over August Bank Holiday. 

 

Great that other events are still happening.

But I thought there was something going on at Duxford?

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This year the TSSC had a small stand at MG Live at Silverstone which was a nice surprise.  It's a busy weekend of clubs, suppliers, lots of excellent racing etc, lots of space.  Because there is lots of space is there any merit in suggesting that Triumph take a bigger part in MG Live next year and avoid diluting the potential number of attendees by having  too many events?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Neil Clark said:

This year the TSSC had a small stand at MG Live at Silverstone which was a nice surprise.  It's a busy weekend of clubs, suppliers, lots of excellent racing etc, lots of space.  Because there is lots of space is there any merit in suggesting that Triumph take a bigger part in MG Live next year and avoid diluting the potential number of attendees by having  too many events?

See my post on the matter. Next year the TSSC/TRR/MGCC event is at MG Live. And the Standard Triumph Forum (the Triumph umbrella group) may well hold their event there too. Which is music to my ears. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Great that other events are still happening.

But I thought there was something going on at Duxford?

Doug

I guess the CoM is deliberating on whether to ban Duxford again, this time because of the risk of contracting Monkeypox in that well known plague pit on the windy Cambridgeshire plain.  😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

I guess the CoM is deliberating on whether to ban Duxford again, this time because of the risk of contracting Monkeypox in that well known plague pit on the windy Cambridgeshire plain.  😅

Or perhaps John turning up?

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clive said:

See my post on the matter. Next year the TSSC/TRR/MGCC event is at MG Live. And the Standard Triumph Forum (the Triumph umbrella group) may well hold their event there too. Which is music to my ears. 

WOW!   MG Live! is at SILVERSTONE!  Compared to the shed on a playing field that is Stafford,  the TRR's home showground at Malvern is in a different league, with better scenery, facilities and more space, but  Silverstone has to be MECCA!      Enormous amount of room, on which they erect miles of tented space, good cafeterias, professional entertainment, with actual classic motorsport races!   

Surely we can get a Triumph race together?

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Surely we can get a Triumph race together?

John, I believe you are the sole Vitesse circuit racer however I met a guy at Brooklands who is making a Vitesse to race so you might have competition at last! We were discussing the triple Webers he has and how difficult it has been to find an inlet manifold. Didn't get his name or what type of club racing he proposes but he knew of your car. 

Iain 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be great!     Does anyone know this guy, and will give him my details?     If only so that I can question his sanity?     If you want to start racing, don't start with a Vitesse!

 

I've messaged MGCC about MG Live! 2023.   They already include MG Cup and Cockshoot Cup races, which are for cars of the TR and small chassis era, but I would not suggest that Triumph join them.   Instead, I've shown that there are enough Triumphs racing to form a substantial  grid, and asked that they consider including a TRiumph race in the programme.    Fingers crossed!

John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Am I seeing double with this post about Stafford, or is my computer playing up?

 

Deja vu all over again as Del Boy would say.

 

Your computer is fine, the are two Stafford Cancellation posts running.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Does anyone know this guy, and will give him my details?

All I recall is it is a Mk1 and he and his son are involved. It's good to get youngsters (that's sub 30s) involved to carry the flag on. I assume he is from the South as the event was at Brooklands. 

Sorry to barge in on the thread but the more we can encourage people to use their Triumphs the better. 

Iain 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...