Clubs cancel Triumph and MG Weekend 2022 at Staffordshire County Showground. 

Jane

On 04/08/2022 at 10:46, Gary Flinn said:

Hi Paul

I was the guy sitting with Colin last night, nice to meet you

I know what you mean about Stafford, I was leaving it till nearer the date to get my tickets for fear of some family event or Covid meaning I couldn't get.

I've had some great times there during the 90's and noughties when it was the favoured site for the TSSC International, maybe next year it will happen again I hope so?

Gary   

Hi, yes it was nice to meet you at the Sitwell Arms. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No real surprise that only 5% of membership responded, Most seem to be inactive. 

Doing the maths, I think the club membership is around 4K. 

A couple of things stood out to me.

1. About half of the respondents wanted a hotel (though not clear if that includes people who don't want to attend an event)

2. only about 3% of the club members positively want to attend either for a day or weekend. 

3. On the plus side, nearly half the respondents are happy to travel more than 100 miles. 

It seems the membership are pretty much disinterested in these events. If they had an opinion, they would make their views known.

The 5% Response is very poor.

You can't really get an accurate idea of what people want from the club with only 200 odd out of 4,000 responding

I did fill in the form and do try and get involved with some of the club events and meets when time allows

I will definitely be at Silverstone for the 100 Year celebration, I'm really looking forward to it🙂.

Gary

55 minutes ago, Gary Flinn said:

You can't really get an accurate idea of what people want from the club with only 200 odd out of 4,000 responding

I did fill in the form and do try and get involved with some of the club events and meets when time allows

I will definitely be at Silverstone for the 100 Year celebration, I'm really looking forward to it🙂.

Gary

Re Silverstone, I was thinking an idle thought. With zero idea if it is being considered by "the Management"

But if the MGCC underwrites the Silverstine event (as I think they do) is there a possibility that the event may stay there in the future. It is an "oven ready"  event and would make life easy for the Triumph clubs. 

I can imagine the TR owners may not like it as a permanent fixture, and prefer to go to malvern and maybe lincs etc in rotation. I think Stafford should be avoided in future. But any such ideas should wait to be expressed until we have had a chance to experience this one in June. And then ONLY people who attended should be allowed to express a preference. Too many people want things to happen with little intetst in actually going. Too far, too expensive, too many flies, no 5 star hotel on site etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, clive said:

Too many people want things to happen with little intetst in actually going. To far, too expensive, to many flies, no 5 star hotel on site etc. 

Conversely I, like many other overseas visitors, had planned for months, only to have the carpet pulled out from under us, and at quite an expense too. I wasn't wanting a 5 star hotel, nor was I worried about driving many miles, I wanted a show like the one I have supported for many years, and for which I used to save and budget with the intention of seeing cars, buying parts and supporting traders. Silverstone holds no interest for me, whatsoever. I really want it to go well, for the club's sake, but with what I'm expecting the 2023 event to be like, it doesn't appeal to me.

1 minute ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Conversely I, like many other overseas visitors, had planned for months, only to have the carpet pulled out from under us, and at quite an expense too. I wasn't wanting a 5 star hotel, nor was I worried about driving many miles, I wanted a show like the one I have supported for many years, and for which I used to save and budget with the intention of seeing cars, buying parts and supporting traders. Silverstone holds no interest for me, whatsoever. I really want it to go well, for the club's sake, but with what I'm expecting the 2023 event to be like, it doesn't appeal to me.

Colin, I am unsure what you think it will be like at Silverstone. But the area inside teh track is simply huge, many timesthe size of Stafford. Yes, there will be many MGs there (of all ages) and the Triumph Clubs my gather a similar number of cars? And I expect it to be similar to the Stratford/malvern event in terms of Triumphs, but with far more facilities available. I still get the feeling that you think everything is dominated by the racing. That simply is not the case. Unless watching, you are unlikely to hear the racing let alone see it. 

I just hope the Triumph owners turn out in force. 

In other news, I have booked for teh Silverstone  Classic  Festival, along with kids and husbands. We are taking 3 Triumphs for the weekend. That was excellent when we attended a few years ago, all sorts of stuff going on as well as all teh car displays etc. And the evening entertainment was brilliant (except teh rain on the Friday evening, and daughters tent leaked leading to an emergency Decathlon trip on Saturday morning)

7 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Given the previous years attendance to the joint MG / triumph weekend seemed to be very good I'd say it may suggest that allot of the 4000 odd members just leave it up to the club to organise the main events and then simply book / turn up........

I do admit that it does give the impression that the majority aren't interested in surveys or expressing an opinion, however you must allow for the percentage of members who belong to the club that are of the older non-tec savvy generation and / or have no interest in computers or internet forums etc. 

How many members are actually registered on this forum (whatever their particular Triumph)?

Best wishes,

Mike.

39 minutes ago, MK2 Ed said:

As far as I can see, the MG owners club are celebrating the centenary at Gaydon in May not Silverstone in June

MG owners club is not really a club at all. It is a privately owned company which is nice and profitable.

MGCC is the "proper" MG club. 

50 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Given the previous years attendance to the joint MG / triumph weekend seemed to be very good I'd say it may suggest that allot of the 4000 odd members just leave it up to the club to organise the main events and then simply book / turn up........

I do admit that it does give the impression that the majority aren't interested in surveys or expressing an opinion, however you must allow for the percentage of members who belong to the club that are of the older non-tec savvy generation and / or have no interest in computers or internet forums etc. 

How many members are actually registered on this forum (whatever their particular Triumph)?

Best wishes,

Mike.

The answer is..... nobody knows how many TSSC members are users of this forum, as there are no link from this firum to the member database. A shame, as having a "club members only" section can be jolly handy. And this forum software is capable of far more than the Club website is (plus teh shop). But that is another story.

We don't really know how many TSSC owners attended malvern and stratford as many(most) buy tickets on the day. And numbers are futher muddied by the number of people who are members of more than one club. And people like me who may buy tickets via the TRR as it is easy to buy online rather than the archaic print/fill in/scan forms that the TSSC insists on publishing. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, clive said:

The answer is..... nobody knows how many TSSC members are users of this forum,

If you check the Members tab there are 3967 have forum membership. Many have only posted once or twice, but this doesn't mean they aren't watching. If I check the Online Users tab I often see people who haven't posted for years.  

Doug

What did the TSSC team who attended Silverstone think about this years MG Car Club event (As opposed to MGOC)?  I was very pleased to meet them and see them having a stand there.  Interestingly the MGOC and MGCC are working together more on big events.

It could be a great opportunity to piggyback on a well-run well-attended event attracting people who like our brands of cars.  I manned one of the small MG area stands so I had a good opportunity to meet visitors and see all over the show.  It's not snooty, not wholly racing focused - the racing goes on around the perimeter and the paddock itself is fascinating, lots of space etc.  Camping nearby and B&B's, although some miles may be needed each evening to get to them. The race track stands themselves are all open and free and even if racing isn't your thing can make an entertaining half hour.  

Some of our members may be put off by a lack of parts stands and the niche Triumph suppliers, which I think would need addressing. 

Given that the Triumph sports cars such as the Spitfire did outsell MG Midgets and Austin Healey Sprites at times there are enough Triumphs around and synergies to make it a busy event.  There's certainly enough space.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

If you check the Members tab there are 3967 have forum membership. Many have only posted once or twice, but this doesn't mean they aren't watching. If I check the Online Users tab I often see people who haven't posted for years.  

Doug

Ah, but many of those will not be TSSC members. 

That is teh problem, unless somebody can compare the database of names. Even there many will not have used their real name on here to register.