If only I knew how to use it

s99sdp

Some kind gent stopped as he was walking by when I was diagnosing an electrical fault and said.

"I've got something that might be of use to you, just give me a drink"

So after giving him a glass of water he returned with this.....

image.thumb.jpeg.c9c69ab6ba022d1c5ce02bdc2aeb0537.jpeg

If only I had a clue what the readings meant :)

SP

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Just keep them both the same and you'll be fine.

Trust me, I won't be touching anything once I have the readings. All my dabblings have cost me money.

Actually come to think of it, just about everything has cost me money 😂

SP

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Just keep them both the same and you'll be fine.

As Colin says. Although that particular model may be quite old the style is still in use by some mechanics; although the unit is in plastic these days. A nice bit of kit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s99sdp said:

Actually come to think of it, just about everything has cost me money 😂

You can't take it with you they say. In my case I won't have any to take with me. Today's expenditure on the car : 13€11 split almost 50/50 between the cost of a new heater fan switch and postage. At least fitting it was genuinely a 5 minute job. 

Just now, Chris A said:

You can't take it with you they say. In my case I won't have any to take with me. Today's expenditure on the car : 13€11 split almost 50/50 between the cost of a new heater fan switch and postage. At least fitting it was genuinely a 5 minute job. 

On YOUR car, I hope. Mine today: £120 for full in-depth valet of daughter's car - promised for her birthday in 2021 and postponed due to Covid - £20 of petrol for the same, as she left it almost dry, and £6.99 on a cheap steering wheel cover for my Herald.

**THREAD DRIFT**

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

£6.99 on a cheap steering wheel cover for my Herald.

This refers to your comment on the other site thread I assume? I've got the same type of wheel on my 13/60 and might be interested, I do need to spend more money on MY car 😁.

Pop a link on the other thread, ta!

2 hours ago, s99sdp said:

I have one exactly the same, much better than the modern alternative for balancing carbs, not sure how you would diagnose an electrical fault with it.

S

SP, your "SynchroCheck" is the Queen of such devices!  You lucky man!

That rubber disc should be glued to the trumpet, but it's probably hard as nails by now.  Cut out a disc from new rubber.   It's to seal the device to the throat of the carb. As you press it on.

Note the reading and compare with the other throat.  The actual numbers mean nothing.  Adjust to get them the same.  Voila.

Good luck!

John

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

SP, your "SynchroCheck" is the Queen of such devices!  You lucky man!

That rubber disc should be glued to the trumpet, but it's probably hard as nails by now.  Cut out a disc from new rubber.   It's to seal the device to the throat of the carb. As you press it on.

Note the reading and compare with the other throat.  The actual numbers mean nothing.  Adjust to get them the same.  Voila.

Good luck!

John

The rubbers are actually in great condition.

I'll give it a go at some point, possibly after summer in case I mess it up and it stops me from taking the car out in decent weather

sp

41 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Even better, if it's still supple.

And you even have the original instruction leaflet!

Yes I'm fortunate thats there and the guy was really kind to offer it to me. I'm just a bit nervy messing around with the carbs as I have no idea what I'm doing and my mind goes numb when the nerves set in. 😬

6 minutes ago, s99sdp said:

Yes I'm fortunate thats there and the guy was really kind to offer it to me. I'm just a bit nervy messing around with the carbs as I have no idea what I'm doing and my mind goes numb when the nerves set in. 😬

Then don't touch them!! Not even to check that they're ok. My first GT6, I twiddled the knob on the carb just a little, wouldn't do any harm surely... conked out about 20 miles from home. Flooded! A great mate, now sadly gone, reset them for me and told me that if I ever touched them again he'd take both my hands off at the wrist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Then don't touch them!! Not even to check that they're ok. My first GT6, I twiddled the knob on the carb just a little, wouldn't do any harm surely... conked out about 20 miles from home. Flooded! A great mate, now sadly gone, reset them for me and told me that if I ever touched them again he'd take both my hands off at the wrist.

That seems like perfectly sound advice to me

• Haha 1

one good site with nice photo's and clear explaination is Buckeye Triumphs  yes much is aimed at other TRs but the basics remain the same 

Carburetors — Buckeye Triumphs

and for WSM  use steves online downloads  Triumph Car Service manuals - Vitessesteve

there are only a few adjustable parts and a bit of meccano to deal with   its not a dark art if you stick to the basics 

Pete

19 hours ago, s99sdp said:

just give me a drink"

Not sure he after just water!

Anyway that's a great story. I have an an original boxed Syncro check Model B89, which I found on ebay after much searching and yes they typically go for north of £50.

Mine has a rubber cone. Works really well and much better than the basic Gunsen Carbalancer jobbies.

The only adjustment on the gauge itself is the small black knob, which is moved in or out to 'adjust the meter to approximately half scale'.

Get the car up to temperature, slacken off one of the pinch bolts on the linking bar and adjust the throttle stops until both carbs give an equal flow on the gauge. Retighten the pinch bolt (before revving).

Well worth doing!

Ian

8 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Mine has a rubber cone. Works really well and much better than the basic Gunsen Carbalancer jobbies.

I cant find any problem with the Gunsen - mine years old but still does exactly what its supposed to do, its so simple and as reading accuracy is irrelevant I fail to see what could be improved apart from bling🤔

13 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

Not sure he after just water!

Anyway that's a great story. I have an an original boxed Syncro check Model B89, which I found on ebay after much searching and yes they typically go for north of £50.

The only adjustment on the gauge itself is the small black knob, which is moved in or out to 'adjust the meter to approximately half scale'.

Get the car up to temperature, slacken off one of the pinch bolts on the linking bar and adjust the throttle stops until both carbs give an equal flow on the gauge. Retighten the pinch bolt (before revving).

Well worth doing!

Ian

🤣🤣 I did actually give him some money.

I'll have a tinker when I've got some time when the weather turns. I keep meaning to stock up on biscuits and go and visit @Pete Lewis. I might sneak this along with me and get him to give me some on the spot training

sp