First Classic - Spitfire Mk2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question - I didn't take a specific photo as my mk2 has gone away for a couple of weeks for a head gasket change/milling and various other bits.

It is sort of visible in another photo I took though - behind the handbrake the shell dips in - is that supposed to be like that? I noticed it as my door is a bit loose so I got out without opening it, and that's where my hand naturally fell, so was wondering if someone had pushed down on that part before and it's caved in.

PXL_20220808_174210320.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.d05e4a3ca7b07ab58f5ce2fd8a28591c.jpg

That bit is made of hardboard / fibreboard. It’s pretty fragile, no longer available and not an easy shape to fabricate a replacement for (I know cause I did so!). The most important function of it is to hold the handbrake rubber gaiter in place. So if it is mostly intact and does that job, I’d leave well alone! You won’t see it’s squashed under the carpet anyway. 

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2022 at 09:20, Badwolf said:

I think that it was Josef's.

Yeah and I ended up ditching it and using papier-mâché! Though having read BFG Pete’s fantastic description of his fibreglass Surrey top construction I reckon it’d be possible to do a decent job of one of these using fibreglass.

Peter,

The problem appears to be that Pete uses a very old computer with a very old web browser.

The supplier of our forum software provide regular security updates to protect us all from hackers and other malevolent people who want to break into the servers to flood us with malware, spam and worse.

It would appear that a recent security update disabled the ability for the forum to work with old unsupported operating systems and web browsers - just try accessing the forum using Microsoft Internet Explorer if you want an example.

As Pete was using an old and unsupported web browser, he has fallen victim to this security update.

I have provide Pete with examples of web browsers that "should" still work with his old operating system, but I've not heard of any sucess (yet).

The real solution is for Pete to update the OS on his computer to something that is not 21 years old, and stopped being supported more than 10 years ago, so that he can run a more modern and supported web browser.

7 hours ago, KevinR said:

Peter,

The problem appears to be that Pete uses a very old computer with a very old web browser.

The supplier of our forum software provide regular security updates to protect us all from hackers and other malevolent people who want to break into the servers to flood us with malware, spam and worse.

It would appear that a recent security update disabled the ability for the forum to work with old unsupported operating systems and web browsers - just try accessing the forum using Microsoft Internet Explorer if you want an example.

As Pete was using an old and unsupported web browser, he has fallen victim to this security update.

I have provide Pete with examples of web browsers that "should" still work with his old operating system, but I've not heard of any sucess (yet).

The real solution is for Pete to update the OS on his computer to something that is not 21 years old, and stopped being supported more than 10 years ago, so that he can run a more modern and supported web browser.

One of my "Pet Hates".

Much old software will not run on new O/S. I have perfectly good versions of software, some back to the 90`s. NOTHING wrong with it from a working point of view. But now incompatible with Windows 10 even. Never mind Windows 11. My wife, is perfectly comfortable with Windows 7, But, the latest Intel (i7) processors, DELL themselves admit to this, will not allow a dual boot, which is how we used to get round it. As for Security it`s my belief that unless you are the Government OR one of those who insist their lives MUST be on a computer/tablet/phone whatever, Good, working, regularly updated cyber security software, is all needed. I suspect most of these "upgragdes" are merely there to keep the "techies" in work. They do not understand the concept of "if it works DON`T fix it".

We are currently having a lot to do with the NHS, who`s systems have got so fractured that one department cannot access information on the other. We know this How?. My wife is currently having Chemotherapy, and recently had a stroke, the stroke unit could not access even the medication being given, without ringing the Oncology department!. This added to the delay, the nurses spend more time tippy tapping on laptops and pads, than dealing with patients. In my opinion, this is typical of modern business too. Stock control, only as good as the person entering data, Want something online? They somehow need your inside leg measurement in oder to supply a 9/16AF bolt?. Comon guys and gals, get real.

And I do not trust the so called "cloud". To my mind tantamount to putting your cash in a safe and handing the key to someone else. Stored on a computer/server Where?. Well Iceland is one place (not the Frozen food outlet, but the Country). although maybe that might be safer? (frozen assets😁) How can that be secure?.

Rant over, and I feel a lot better, More coffee I think, it`s still only 6-30am!!.

Pete

Pete

I have never understood the principal of running a secure installation and then sending all your stuff to a third party (cloud, whatever that is) to take care of!! Had a conversation with a friend recently about bank accounts. I told him (total paranoia here), not to take any payments from people by direct payment to his bank account due to the number of people using unsecure mobile phones or other tech stuff. I eventually got him to realise that it may not be his device that gets hacked but the person paying him money as he had then set up a trail for hackers. I was recently told by someone that they didn't need extra security on an i-phone, then turned on the telly to read about security issues at Apple. Oh well, back to the dark room with a torch and my paperback!!

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Agreed, why do I need a cloud it justs increases my risk!!

+1 for that. I recently found that my phone is uploading all my photos to some 3rd party storage server - they'd bore anyone else to death but I don't want them anywhere else bar my own Mac.

Holy thread drift

I'm going to have to disagree, stone age people thought their weapons were fantastic but I wouldn't suggest they went up against the modern British army with them! That is exactly the same as using outdated software, it simply does not have the ability to maintain security against the more advanced versions. As for cloud it is likely far more secure as they have the best security people and automated infrastructure, making it so

PS I have been a Microsoft Certified Technical trainer and Amazon Web Services champion associate trainer for a long time. The weakest link in any IT security is generally the human, not having the correct knowledge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

using outdated software, it simply does not have the ability to maintain security against the more advanced versions.

I would think old outdated software was MORE secure. Hackers wouldn't be bothered about old stuff and their modern programs wouldn't work on them either.

Having kicked the hornets nest I'm off . . . 🤔

• Haha 1

Sorry to interrupt but quick question with regards to wheels - looking at wires - they come in 4.5 and 5.5. I have a choice of 165/80r13 or 175/70r13. Will get whitewalls painted on (much cheaper) and get the tyres from Blockley tyres. Any opinions on wheel width on a MK2? I don't want to ruin the appearance by making the wrong choice!

.... please continue the debate though! I have Google drive to back up everything, all cloud based. Have a nice shared family album.

If going for wires which I wouldn't, I would go for the 5.5, not because of the width but because they are tubeless, wheras the 4.5 need inner tubes, for which modern tyres are not designed, though I can not guarantee that they won't cause clearance issues

In fact I would advise going to a few shows/meets and talking to people with the different wheels, doesn't really matter which mk to see if the 5.5 cause any issues with the body, it will drive just fine on the current steels for now

Hi RTB,

I have 4.5 rims with 175/70 tyres. I would worry about the tyres rubbing on the front wheel arches with the 5.5 rims. Tubeless rims remove one of the worries but I'm not convinced that the danger is great. My local tyre fitters, Eastbourne Tyre Co (a real family firm in its fourth generation), say that fitting inner tubes into tubeless tyres has never been a problem in their experience. Common wisdom is to change the tyres and inner tubes at least every 7 years regardless of mileage and that goes for tubeless steel wheels too.

Now that you have your car and you are getting it how you want it, can I ask how you plan to use it? Will you run it all year round or just the summer months?

Adrian

PS I've just spent a happy 2 hours cleaning my wires in preparation for a car show tomorrow. I'm envious of your whitewalls!

Thanks DanMi, would be great to compare, definitely need to get down to some shows, unfortunately (sort of) I'm on holiday most of Sept so that will delay things!

Adrian, I plan to use her all year round, except when there is salt on the roads. She lives in my garage normally. Work is a short drive so it's good fun taking her there. 

Taking delivery on an EV next month which is at the other end of the spectrum, I'll be using that on the reeaaally cold mornings as it will be nicely preheated! Though it's more of a family car and mainly to take the little one to/from nursery. He's still under 2 so will take a while for him to be ready to join me for a ride in the Spitfire, though I've tested his car seat and it fits - the wife says NO!

With the wheels there really is no rush, they look great on the standard steels anyway (at least in my opinion), so take your time or fall foul of the old adage buy in haste and then buy twice (sort of!)

Is there any news on the head gasket leak? This is the most important issue.