First Classic - Spitfire Mk2

😂😁. Love the "handbrake" bit. We used to take the button out on Rally cars. When your using it to induce the rear to step out it`s better off not being there. Parking was a Piece of wood wedged under the Handle.

Pete.

I had to arrange a recall on our 50 series trucks as the handbrake pawls were not correctly heat treated and they failed  the next problem was the 

recall replacements were worse than the originals  that took some sorting out all down to them with the name over the door closing our own heat treatment plant

and made us rely on suppliers    Grrr !  

soft pawls would fly off on their own  ....run aways at dawn  

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

I had to arrange a recall on our 50 series trucks as the handbrake pawls were not correctly heat treated and they failed  the next problem was the 

recall replacements were worse than the originals  that took some sorting out all down to them with the name over the door closing our own heat treatment plant

and made us rely on suppliers    Grrr !  

soft pawls would fly off on their own  ....run aways at dawn  

Pete

No Air operated Brake?. 😂. The not so funny is if they havent been regularly drained, or the auto drain is not functioning, and they won`t come off because they have frozen.😭

Pete

On 29/07/2022 at 21:13, RichTeaBiscuit said:

I've been doing a bit of Googling and am not quite clear - how do I drive it? 😁 The oldest car I've driven was about 15 years old.

I was the same when I got my Herald in 2007. I’d driven one 1200 Herald round an empty car park, otherwise only relatively modern things. You’ll need to get used to the brakes, not that they’re bad, but they are less powerful than modern ones. Also it’s rear wheel drive and not as grippy as a modern rear wheel drive, so if you’re too enthusiastic on corners, especially on wet roads, you may find the back end starting to slide! 

Does it have overdrive? from the pics I can only see 1 stalk to the right of the column, which should be indicators and it was optional and not mentioned on the heritage cert, so not there when new. If it doesn't it is a great upgrade if you can find the bits (mine has the OD gearbox from a mk4 so synchro on 1st), I can cruise at 75mph easily. I will tell you that the footwell carpet on the drivers side may be a pain, with the clutch pedal catching on it (you can see the marks). I replace mine with a moulded mk4 new old stock because of this (TD Fitchet) a very minor issue! or some velcro to hold it down. The rest looks good.

It will drive just fine, you will use the light stalk to indicate if used to a modern as the indicators are on the right (possibly better on a RHD car) I have swapped mine around and you will find that the brakes need more force as they are not power assisted, but they work fine just takes getting used to and you may find when getting back in the modern that you hit them too hard after using the spit, but you get used to it. You will find the driving position a bit odd to start with as the pedals are all to the right of the column.

As to using the button on the handbrake Ford/Jaguar advised that you pull the handbrake on without pushing the button on the MK3 Mondeo / X-type as they had them not hold when people did

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

you will use the light stalk to indicate if used to a modern as the indicators are on the right

In my case I'm more likely to put the wipers on in the modern rather than the indicators. Clearly the fact that I leaned to drive in a 13/60 back in 1970 ingrained it into me and still surfaces after a little prodding . . 

DanMi, thanks for pointing that out. The overdrive thing is definitely an oversight on my part, I didn't realise it was optional. I probably won't be on the motorway much anyway, though as an upgrade I think I'd enjoy adding it.

What sort of cruising speed is normal without it?

3 hours ago, RichTeaBiscuit said:

what ever you and the car are happy at and sitting beside 44tons of whatever in a spitfire can be a bit daunting if youre using motorways a lot  ...best avoided 

on the open road anything 40 to 60 is going to be fine    pushing up to the 70s takes more concentration than ...cruising 

Pete

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Wife had an X type for 20 years don’t think I ever used the handbrake just Park, she did but seldom I assume she’d just wrench it on, just like Jaguar intended!

No park in mine as it has a manual gearbox

If you do end up deciding you want overdrive (get the car, drive it and enjoy it before deciding to take it apart though :) ) then shout up here. Above all avoid paying over the odds for an overdrive gearbox in unknown state. 

2 hours ago, RichTeaBiscuit said:

Ask 5 owners and I suspect you’ll get 5 different answers.

Why did you buy the car? For most/many, the word “cruising” was unlikely a consideration. More likely nostalgia, fun, something to tinker with etc.

I drive mine in the full knowledge of it having all of the safety features fitted to a 50 year old car. None. Hence I drive it even more defensively than I do a motorcycle. They can be pretty vulnerable cars when in and around a lot of traffic.

My nearby roads are in a pretty dreadful state of disrepair. The suspension on a car of this era can be upset by potholes and such. Plus, mine has the braking capability of a supertanker about to enter a harbour.

The engines are very revvy but my mechanical empathy rarely allows me to venture above 3,000 rpm. I don’t have overdrive and I wouldn’t want to go far with the engine screaming away at any higher speed.

Motorways are a no-no for me. I seldom but sometimes venture on to a dual carriageway but consider 60mph as Vmax.

It’s a lovely day so I’ve just been for a drive, about 20 miles, out for just over the hour. At 40 mph on a country road I can enjoy the views, the atmosphere and the car and return home with a smile (and quite often with a new job to add to the list😀)

I hope you enjoy your lovely red car 👍

40 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Ask 5 owners and I suspect you’ll get 5 different answers.

All three of my current Triumphs, and five of my previous ones, have completed the Club Triumph "Round Britain Reliability Run" - 2000 miles in 48 hours. I would not want to do that in a Mk2 Spitfire without overdrive (although one of the five was a Toledo!)

I also like to go on holiday in a classic. SWMBO and I went to Scotland in the Vitesse a few years back, and to Yorkshire in the Spitfire last year. Overdrive is definitely a benefit for such trips as there will inevitably be some main road "transit sections".

On the other hand, if you're not feeling that adventurous, you don't need overdrive for B-roads or country lanes.

44 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

mechanical empathy rarely allows me to venture above 3,000 rpm

My mechanical sympathy frequently demands that I exceed 3000RPM. Trying to accelerate below that, especially in a Mk2 or Mk3 Spitfire, is putting completely unnecessary lugging loads on it. Get it up to 5000, it'll thank you for it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

Plus, mine has the braking capability of a supertanker about to enter a harbour

If that is the case then you really need to investigate why. A spitfire with well set up brakes should be able to lock the wheels, so there can be no more braking force applied. Yes they require more leg effort as not boosted but they should stop the car very quickly, and mine has the smaller type 12 callipers. Yes they are very small, light and have no crumple zones etc, so they do need to be driven defensively. Mine will happily sit on the motorway if I want to get somewhere, though it is not their natural habitat and as Pete says big trucks can be daunting. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DanMi said:

Yes they are very small, light and have no crumple zones etc, so they do need to be driven defensively. Mine will happily sit on the motorway if I want to get somewhere, though it is not their natural habitat and as Pete says big trucks can be daunting. 

When I drove the 948 Coupe from Southend-on-Sea to Stranraer the M25 and the M6 were entertaining... I found a lot of courtesy, people were letting me out at junctions or to merge lanes, but on overtaking HGVs the draught blew me right across two lanes as I passed. You grow into a car very quickly and learn the capabilities, and what you can get away with, particularly in terms of cornering and braking, but it takes a little time to familiarise.

13 hours ago, DanMi said:

If that is the case then you really need to investigate why. A spitfire with well set up brakes should be able to lock the wheels, so there can be no more braking force applied. Yes they require more leg effort as not boosted but they should stop the car very quickly, and mine has the smaller type 12 callipers.

My point was more related to defensive driving. With 50 years of engineering development, braking potential of a modern car is much better than my Spitfire, hence I drive it accordingly.

6 minutes ago, 1969Mk3Spitfire said:

My point was more related to defensive driving. With 50 years of engineering development, braking potential of a modern car is much better than my Spitfire, hence I drive it accordingly.

There is a theory where a less safe vehicle and environment actual makes for less accidents because everyone drives more carefully! This can range from taking away road signs to having a manual choke so making you more aware of the outside temperature...