First Classic - Spitfire Mk2

that's probably why they moved it for the mk3, yes it is awkward to get at, the top section of the cardboard of the glovebox should come down for access, but then it is a pain to get it to stay up.  But there are so few fused circuits that you hardly ever need to get at it!

Thanks! I'll have a look what's been posted and hopefully that will sort it 👍 

Spent far too much time trying to pick out the perfect keyring this morning 🤣 

The seatbelts are looking quite frayed. Am I correct in thinking I need something like this as there is no pillar loop?

514-30.jpg

Probably! BUT do not get the buckle with the long wire stalk. Absolutely hopeless in a spitfire. You want the buckle with either the short metal bracket or on a short length of seat belt. I have the metal bracket type in my late spit, and fixed belts with adjustable length buckle in my MK3

Having had those type of belt in the GT6 for years, I went with static ones on the Spitfire. Less troublesome. But as Clive says, avoid the long stalks. If you go for the metal bracket type, there's an adapter bracket that isn't part of the kit, which I fabricated from a bit of angle iron, although I had a Mk3 GT6 with the original factory version to hand for reference.

I have the Securion with the short metal bracket on my MkIV. Once you get the receiver fitting to the correct angle it is very comfortable. I was lucky as all the fittings for an inertia belt were fitted but hidden with trim in mine. I just had to poke the hole through the vinyl and fit the take up unit upright on the floor as the instructions say. Only problem was finding the fitting under the folded hood but sorted that with a fitting on the B post.

That depends on whether you want period style or modern, I would want a stalk on the inside of the car to be adjustable. 

Take a look at www.quickfitsbs.com  they supply period static belts as well or will replace the webbing on yours. These cars did not have belts from the factory so all are aftermarket, they just had the 2 floor mount points, the rest would have been retro fitted in the late 60s when it became required.

But seriously for now my advice is to just get the cooling issue sorted and then use it and see then what you want, if you spend in haste you may live to regret it

I agree with Dan. Drive and enjoy. Find out what needs dealing with on a day to day basis. Classics are expensive so only pay out what you need to, when you need to. This will hopefully spead the expense. It is all to easy to get carried away with a shopping list and end up with stacks of bits that seemed like a good idea at the time that you will put on 'in the future', 'when I have time'.

11 minutes ago, RichTeaBiscuit said:

Cheers guys, I'll do that. I was looking at the Rimmerbros postage cost so the list was getting bigger as I was trying to corral everything into one order.

Rimmers are not the cheapest  also look at canleyclassics.com, jamespaddock.co.uk, moss-europe (In Feltham so poss near), TDfitchet and of course the club shop, there are also a number of good suppliers on ebay eg chic doig You will likely save more by looking at different suppliers than the postage saving by buying all from Rimmers

Somewhere on here I compiled a list of fleabay suppliers who are known to club members along with their fleabay IDs. These are respected, trusted suppliers and not just floggers of cheap imported tat. Certainly worth a look at their current listings to keep costs down.

EditFound it...

https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/6788-ebay-dealers/#comment-87847

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Clark said:

If you don't mind cleaning old parts up you could also look at SpitBitz in Woking (phone 0118 973 2648 or email info@spitbitz.co.uk) who have an Aladdins cave of dismantled early Spitfire parts, and for odd parts Mick Dolphin www.mickdolphin.co.uk

Anyone reading this who does have a great objection to cleaning up old car parts probably needs a different hobby :D

• Like 1

Another question - thought this was normal because of the age but having done some reading it may not be.

When selecting gears, I found it hard to find the gear, particularly 2nd. Feels like I'm hitting metal with the shifter sometimes and I need to search around to find the right slot to push it in to. 

sounds very much like the gear linkage bushes need replacing (quite a regular job which needs the cover off) as the play means you move the lever but the change rod doesnt move as much so doesnt go to the right place. Dont force it or you risk bending the mech... 

• Thanks 1

I believe that Canley classics replace the not so good parts in the usual kit with better parts, but it is a very common job, the hardest part is getting the tunnel out and back in

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?product=gear-change-bush-kit  I wouldn't worry that they say out of stock as I believe that they put the kit together to order

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-519770

On 03/08/2022 at 20:14, Josef said:

On hoods and tonneau, check your insurance, it’s common for insurance to be invalid if the car is parked without the soft top up. 

Josef - I was interested in you comment quoted above so, having just renewed my insurance checked the documents and was horrified to find and clause confirming this. This now means having to put up the roof everytime I leave the car or no insurance!! Is this normal for all policies and does anyone else take precautions like this? Page copied below, relevant section in red

2022-Peter-James-Policy.thumb.jpg.d146f3a7c88232de1b0bde14a807b196.jpg