Groaning Stag

claxton

Hello

I am hoping someone somewhere can cast some light on a very irritating problem

when turning right sometimes i get what i can only describe as a groaning sound from the right hand side wheel area. I removed the power steering drive belt to see if it was pump noise but it still occurs.  I cannot reproduce the noise with the car jacked up and there doesn't seem to be any indication of anything rubbing on anything. The wheel bearings seem fine with no roughness or squeaking

Any advice very appreciated

Check the brake reaction rod and particularly its fittings art both ends. The front end is two flat tabs bolted to the lower suspension arm and they snap off with metal fatigue. The back end has rubber domes into holes in the bodywork, which are known to rust out.

I was asking if the top was up or down as if it's from the rear you'll hear it more as you turn right with the top down, due to being on that side, so might not hear it if it happens on both.

If it's low speed it may just be tyre noise? Especially with new tyres.

The groaning is from the wheel turning, front right turning right. It is intermittent usually showing up when going around a roundabout or turning hard right.

Turning the steering wheel does not make any noise. The top strut mount is free and working. RoB thanks for your reply pardon my ignorance but I cant see anything called the brake reaction rod on my diagram does it have another name?

Rob, it does exactly what you called it amongst other things.😀

Claxton, have you checked the anti roll bar bearings, if they are tight or dry, I have heard them groan in the past, give them a squirt of wd40. 

Groaning stag not groaning anymore. Disk back plate had somehow distorted itself by one of the fixing points. Only became clear when I removed the hub and noticed a nice shiny spot on the plate. 

Thanks to everybody for your input.

The mrs is also allowed back in the car

• Like 1