GT6 MK1 - Diff Oil Change no drain plug found

Top Banana

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a look at my Dif on the Mk3 Spitfire - which has a drain plug ! Pretty sure it’s not a home-made job…… so who knows what the rear end might be !!

going to apply Loctite to my gearbox drain plug to try to stop a small drip - will any type do in that service?

USE plumbers PTFE tape rather than Loctite; I have the same problem with a Herald gearbox that will not stop dripping from the drain plug, no matter how many times I change the plug, so am hoping PTFE will cure it.

This diff came up on eBay last week, rebuilt by Mike Papworth and sold for just over £200 but it has a drain plug fitted:

s-l1600-148.thumb.jpg.ebbb6773d4a60273c80f36c0015fedde.jpg

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

USE plumbers PTFE tape rather than Loctite; I have the same problem with a Herald gearbox that will not stop dripping from the drain plug, no matter how many times I change the plug, so am hoping PTFE will cure it.

This diff came up on eBay last week, rebuilt by Mike Papworth and sold for just over £200 but it has a drain plug fitted:

s-l1600-148.thumb.jpg.ebbb6773d4a60273c80f36c0015fedde.jpg

PTFE tape is a thread lubricant, rather than a sealant. I know sometimes it can work, but that’s not really the intent of it.

and - i already tried that ….drip, drip, drip!!!!

My mistake; all my leaks must fix themselves some other way, but I'll not argue with them that knows... :)

"PTFE tape works by sealing and filling any gaps in the threads, no matter how minute they may be, that can cause a joint to leak. PTFE tape is more of a preventative measure employed to help minimise the risks of any leaks forming in the future."

StationaryEngineParts and PistonHeads sites recommend the stuff for preventing leaks on threaded joints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PTFE is the modern “go to” replacement for boss white and hemp. It’s really one of those if it works use it. One drawback being it does not work well on badly cut threads which tend to shred it. Not advised by Calor for LPG by the way?. It also does not last long when used on high temp (superheat) steam.

Pete

Might I suggest that the thread form, itself, is an influential factor. Some forms are designed to create a fluid-proof seal on the threads e.g. BSP-taper, NPT, Dyseal. The already-very-good seal may then be augmented with sealant (PTFE or whatever) according to cicrmstances.

Other forms (e.g.BSP parallel, UNF, metric) cannot resist spiral leakage on the threads. In such cases leakage is prevented by face sealing. Which might be by soft copper washer, collapsible copper, red fibre, Dowty or others. But any of these assume there is a good, true, face against which to seal.

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Triumphs have enugh leaks without adding more drain plugs   ha !

dont use tape on threaded fuel lines unions or you can make some nice white slivers to block needle valves whenn bits escape 

Pete

That's overthinking the issue! It's to stop a leak on a tapered gearbox drain plug, not to lock it in place but to fill small gaps in the threads. Ergo, PTFE'll work. It's not near fuel lines, won't be subjected to direct heat, or make marks on paintwork. 

Mario says: if u wanna use it, u use it. If you don' wanna use it, don' use it. 2590-1970415067.gif.8986fad7a617ae9dac0eb06d48120b3c.gif

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My mistake; all my leaks must fix themselves some other way, but I'll not argue with them that knows... :)

"PTFE tape works by sealing and filling any gaps in the threads, no matter how minute they may be, that can cause a joint to leak. PTFE tape is more of a preventative measure employed to help minimise the risks of any leaks forming in the future."

StationaryEngineParts and PistonHeads sites recommend the stuff for preventing leaks on threaded joints.

And then there is this …

Strictly speaking, Teflon tape is not a thread sealant (Fig. 1). The tape may have the effect of clogging the thread path, but it does not actually adhere to surfaces as a true sealant should. During installation, the tape must be carefully wrapped in the direction of the threads or it unravels and tears.

i know when I did my training as an Instrument Technician it was frowned on to try to cure leaks with this stuff…

but - as you say - if the leak has stopped , the job’s a goodun !

All the pipe fitters in my era, where "instructed" in the art of making "grommets" from Hemp rope. these liberally coated with "boss" White, the main constituant of which was white lead. Where used to seal bolted Flanges. On anything from water, oil, to steam. Hemp and White where wound into the thread on screwed fittings. Most Factory Pipework was made up in said fashion. When PTFE first apeared it was wholly suspect, but decidedly quicker to use and did not contain lead. Initially, the Gas Trade would not use it, the belief was it was not Electrically conductive and inhibited "bonding".

Pete

• Like 1

Appropriate for us Triumph nuts there used to be a sealing product called "Stag" a white goo if I remember it was strandy it was sold in tins & tubes nowadays 200gm costs around $30 so not cheap, I think used by gasfitters plumbers here in Aus at least, it was good on water, ol, petrol, & steam. 

Stag Jointing Compound.jpg

• Thanks 1