Swapping the indicator stalk from the rhs to the left

Kevinrpayne

All

ive got frustrated and plan to change the stalk from the rhs to the left on the gt6 but want the cancel device to continue working 

im presuming lots of others have done this successfully - Rimmer sell a LHD stalk for the overseas market and logic tells me that this should work. Has anyone tried this ? 

thanks 

Kevin

Really not my cup of tea this one as the layout is the correct one for a RHD car! They’re swapped on moderns cause of rationalisation - nobody wants to make two steering columns so we get the same as the LHD models. 

Anyway… You won’t need a new indicator switch (I don’t think, unless you have a very late GT6 and the switchgear changed?), you will need a new light stalk though. The indicator cancel works by a cam on the steering column. So you’ll have to put the central bit of the steering column back 180 degrees from where it was before.

I`ve looked at doing this on a Herald, It certainly looks "do-able", Although the stalk may need "modifying" (bending) to sit in the correct position relative to the wheel?.

Mine would be slightly more complictated, as it`s been modified to Elecric Power Steering, Essential with two dodgy elbows and some RSI.

Pete

I just done this, or sort of. My late Spit indicator stalk broke. Right hand stalks are about £60 and left hand about £30 from Ang Triumph. 

I bought a left hand and moved it to the old right hand bracket. Not easy as when removing bracket some springs may drop out and the indicator ball bearing. 

You will need the lefthand bracket to do this. I did thinks of putting it on the left but the wiper stalk would be back to front and didn't want to buy another. Plus I wanted to keep the quirkiness of the indicator on the right as all British cars once were. 

Danny

Ps if you want the left hand back plate, your welcome to it. 

It is very simple as I have done this. just swap the stalks over (ok the light will be upside down unless you buy a left hand drive one) then undo the steering uj from the rack and turn the column 180 degrees so that the cancel lug is now at 9 oclock rather than 3 when straight ahead. No modification to the stalk is needed.

7 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

A small but irritating thing, the indicator decal will be upside down. 

Doug

or on the wrong side, particularly if you have overdrive on a column stalk as I do, they can be replaced with LHD ones, mine have vanished over the years so it's ok

Thanks I’ll have a go. I saw that replacement decals were available some time ago and I’ll have another look. 

I think I’ll suffer the wrong light position as I don’t often drive with the full beam on anyway 

thanks

kevin

1 hour ago, dannyb said:

You learn something every day. Just because the mk3 gt6 looks a little like 1500 Spit I thought it would have the late stalks. 

Danny

1500 spit got the later column in about 1978 GT6 finished in about 1974

I learned to drive in a Dolomite. My first & second cars were Triumphs. I always convert my moderns to the correct layout for a RHD. My Nearest & Dearest's Jap car was easy but my Volvo more difficult. The so-and-so's had deliberately put a key on the switch base to stop incorrect positioning. Nothing a hacksaw and file couldn't fix. Have to turn the wheel a bit further before self-cancel. (I'm told Citroens don't even have a self-cancel!) Notify the insurance of the modification - JOB DONE!

Cheers, Richard

3 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

on the old headlamp switch i always contemplated blocking the blackout(sides only) position and just using the dash 2 pulls switch     to be  1 pull  sides,  2 pull  heads 

then theres no hedge diving in the dark

Pete

The mkIV spit works lke that, 2 position light stalk, the dash switch is off/sidelights/main lighting

21 minutes ago, clive said:

The mkIV spit works lke that, 2 position light stalk, the dash switch is off/sidelights/main lighting

I have converted my mk2 spit to work like that as I got fed up with coming to a corner going to put the lights on full beam only to realise they already where when it went dark. why it wasn't side-main - high I never have understood. Not difficult to do

43 minutes ago, DanMi said:

why it wasn't side-main - high I never have understood.

As I've said before - the factory reasoned that you should never need to switch to main beam in a hurry, but you will often want dip in a hurry when a car appears round the next bend. Thus is makes more sense for dip to be at the end of travel, and main in the place where you need some care.

• Like 1

well I disagree with the factory, you go to main when you need more light to see because a corner has just appeared ahead far les important if it goes dark when you are trying to reduce the lighting, in fact the best way was what the factory changed to at the MK4, just main and dipped on the stalk, so they clearly realised that it was an issue