Rotary vs Dual Action polishers?

1969Mk3Spitfire

I’m planning to buy a polisher. Not for a car but for something quite a bit bigger and made of GRP.

Despite not for car, I know that there is a broad wealth of knowledge and experience on here so I’m hoping to tap into it.

Background reading suggests that a rotary is better in experienced hands but risks damage in the hands of a novice (like me). Also that a dual action is a bit slower but likely to be more successful for a first-time user.

Any thoughts? Any specific make and model recommendations? Probably mid-range, 240v. Many thanks.

Until 3 years ago I had a slightly smaller sister vessel, had to give up thro` age and lack of fitness.  If you were considering an orbital machine, forget it they are total inadequate and feeble. You need to get a rotary machine with a `soft start`, these start at very at a slow speed/revs and build up to the speed you have selected, usually about 3000 rpm max. They can have infinitely variable speed or a selection of 5 or 6 set speeds. To do any damage with one of these you would have to be a `muffin`. I can`t recommend a particular machine because I used to use the yacht club one, but there are plenty to chose from I`m sure.

Thanks, @Firefly, that’s the sort of feedback I’m looking for. I’m not seeking an orbital (albeit there’s one in my garage with a Woolworth brand, bought many years ago).

A dual purpose can be a rotary and a rotary with combined orbital and these are said to be better for novices. I’ve yet to find anyone with hands-on experience.

Rotary’s are easy to burn the surface, or so I’ve read, and hence avoided by muffins.

Fear not, @Badwolfit will be out of the water when I attempt to polish it. The UK sailing season is only 6 months of the year. That said, I’m also still an active diver and have been for many years. Diving got me into sailing about 25 years ago when a stranded sailor asked our club to help clear rope, caught around his prop.

This happens twice a year 

F6C9FEC4-8D5F-4F71-A106-7A4060943C80.jpeg

If you have heard that someone has burnt the surface of GRP, they may well have been using an angle grinder with a mop attached, and that could burn the surface because they can spin at 10000 rpm. Seriously you would have to try hard to damage grp with the proper machine. Haven't seen one that is duel purpose, even better. Have a go it really isn't difficult, but you will develope your arm muscles.   Mac.