Speedo Cable for Herald Overdrive

Darren Groves

Hi Pete,

Good idea.

I'm just about to fit a Spitfire 1500 Speedo so was trying to work out which cable to order. I remember having to buy a longer cable when doing the OD conversion but no hope of remembering which length. The Spit Speedo has a different connection on the back so hence the need for a different cable.

I know the speedo won't read correctly, but then again neither does the standard Herald one so it's just a matter of using the Sat-Nav to see which way and by how much it's out, or stumping up to have it re-calibrated.

Darren

Give canleys a call. They were very helpful when I needed an unusual cable.

Thanks Clive. I emailed them earlier, they suggested their Part No. V11, which was originally Part No.156316 and they say is 67" long, everywhere else it's listed around 56", maybe a variation between suppliers. I was putting an order together for Canley's anyway so shall try that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone else considering fitting Spit 1500 gauges to their Herald. The cable Canleys suggested (Part #V11) is 67" and plenty long enough.

With a Std 4.11 diff and 165/70/13 tyres the gauge reads too high by just over 20%, will probably get it recalibrate at some point.

my 1200 on standard wheels and diff , with a standard d type OD over reads by 15 % with the standard dial.I put some over size tyres and rims on  185/65/13 iirc  and its stillabout 4 % out ! my Bond with Jtype,and 1500 spit engine on standard wheels  and 4:11diff  under reads by 5 %  .with the wheels as described above it underreads by 11% !!

• 3 weeks later...