US Spitfire standard electric rad fan

johny

I thought this was interesting on the Canley site. It appears that some US model Spitfires came with an electric radiator cooling fan as standard and even the radiator is different, fitting more like that in a GT6 I suppose possibly because it had to be mounted further forward to leave room for the chunky old fan unit....

triumph-spitfire-mkiv_1500-radiator-and-mounting-usa.thumb.jpg.a1abe4837741b33e0a8f650fae59fd07.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just recently bought a 1973 Mk4 Spitfire and one of the first things I thought about was to consider fitting an electric (Kenlowe?) fan.

I am also new to the forums so I guess this topic has come up before. 

Has anyone carried out this conversion to an electric fan in a Mk4 and can share some information on it?

Thanks

John

yes electric fans is quite a common topic and can generate strong views. The feeling seems to be that a standard cooling system in good condition can work perfectly in the UK with the original mechanical fan and that if you need additional cooling then something is wrong.

Certainly its worth remembering that our cars temperature gauges will move up and down in use while modern cars (if fitted) have theirs fixed by the electronics and only change when theres a problem. Also if a high temperature is experienced on the move (more than 5mph) changing the fan wont make much difference as it wont increase the cooling air flow by much so the fault lies elsewhere.

Saying all this some people (myself included) do just like the comfort of knowing they have the extra cooling available from an electric fan for when they are stuck in traffic. Mine also helps circulate air under the bonnet as well as running on a while after engine turn off which is when there can be a spike in the coolant temperature.