GT6 Noisy Gearbox

Kevin Atkins

thats a good idea    finding used boxes that are "good" is getting a rare breed these days 

just remeber the guys on production bashing these together were not brain surgeons 

yes they had some tooling to make these but you can do a lot witha bench a vice and some advice on here 

some get paranoid about them but when its 50 yrs old  forget utopia and let the hands and wallet take a compromise   its all do -able 

Pete

1 hour ago, Kevin Atkins said:

Really helpful replies everyone. So the rebuild kit is on its way, and then that's got me thinking.. I might see if I can locate another box suitable for rebuild and fix that, then flip that in.. otherwise, never having done this before, if I run into trouble I've got a car with no gearbox. I've never tried a gearbox build before, so it'll be a learning experience and all part of the fun, but I don't want the added pressure of having to have it done in short order.

And then there's a big list of other things to sort on the car, but she runs and drives, Rome wasn't built in a day..

I'll post back when I've got stuck in to the gearbox build..

Hope everyone has a cracking Christmas!

If you are going to do this I would recommend buying one in person if at all possible, and taking the top off to check how knackered the gears are before agreeing to buy. I had exactly the same idea, and ended up with two pretty shagged boxes buying sight unseen online (one from a supplier I would’ve considered pretty reputable too) which ended up costing a fair bit more to fix. As Pete says, good ones will be getting thin on the ground, and ones that’re not in a running car, well there may well be a reason for that. 

I would definitely still go for the approach or rebuilding a spare though as you’re quite right in that it allows you to take your time. Especially if you find you need more parts and end up having to wait a while for them.

I recently bought a second hand gearbox suitable for a Vitesse mk2 . I bought unseen from a known source and purchased for spares / rebuild . If I started a new thread would the experts on here guide me and anybody who wants to learn the basics and point out the good bad and the ugly . Hopefully the thread would prove to be a useful tutorial 

Paul 

Paul H I agree I've watched this thread & now seriously question "Have I put all the Parts back together correctly", mine was complicated as I fitted a single rail internals into a 3 rail case with J type overdrive. Interesting all the indent springs in the 3/4 syncro hub were broken, so they were replaced also new ball bearings, there's been no mention of potential damage of these so was mine a one off?.

I know in retrospect that I should have used a 3 rail reverse spacer tube instead of the longer single rail I assume this would have avoided me to seriously bend the reverse actuating lever!! 

8 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

Paul H I agree I've watched this thread & now seriously question "Have I put all the Parts back together correctly", mine was complicated as I fitted a single rail internals into a 3 rail case with J type overdrive. Interesting all the indent springs in the 3/4 syncro hub were broken, so they were replaced also new ball bearings, there's been no mention of potential damage of these so was mine a one off?.

I know in retrospect that I should have used a 3 rail reverse spacer tube instead of the longer single rail I assume this would have avoided me to seriously bend the reverse actuating lever!! 

I’ll take that as a YES and start the post tomorrow with a pic . The first ? being having I bought the correct box 

Paul 

11 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Ive found broken springs in hubs before...

11 hours ago, Paul H said:

I’ll take that as a YES and start the post tomorrow with a pic . The first ? being having I bought the correct box 

Paul 

Well, to be 100% sure if the internals are correct you’ll have to count the teeth on the gears, figure out the ratios and check that’s what you expect. The casings are interchangeable between 4 and 6 cyl models made in similar time periods so the gearbox number may be erroneous / misleading. 

I’d recommend the videos I linked earlier in this thread too Paul if you’re going to have a go yourself. Having that visual look at the internals before stripping my own box was very helpful for me. So much so that I rebuilt three in short order!

14 minutes ago, johny said:

Never checked the springs in the 3 rails though but maybe if they fail its more noticeable...

I had one rail detent spring broken in a top cover. I had never seen the box running, but the spring was obviously broken and shorter than the others when I stripped the cover.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update.. so I didn't manage to do anything with the gearbox over Christmas - I'm keeping my eyes peeled for another box I can use for rebuild with the parts I've got. In the meantime, I have lined the underside of the transmission cover with Silent Coat and added extra sound deadening inside the cabin and the noise has been attenuated to an acceptable level when driving. There's plenty else I need to be doing with the car in the meantime! Thanks for all the support and encouragement.