Dwell gauge/meter for points, how necessary? (especially, as I haven't got one)

daverclasper

Hi,
When I have had points always used a Fluke meter; It had duty cycle mode. A lot of the cheap Chinese meters have this function. It's quick to set the points to the advertised dwell/gap.
The condenser value depends on the coil electrical specs, you could remove the internal and fit an external one of the correct Farad to prevent the metal transfer.
I would never bother cleaning or filing the points; It never bought me joy. New ones always bought a smile.
Cheers,
Iain.

47 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

I would never bother cleaning or filing the points; It never bought me joy. New ones always bought a smile.

Nowadays, I entirely agree with you, In my case I am refering to the days when I was a "poverty stricken" apprentice!☹️, Back then every penny saved was used to buy Fuel, (or beer!). Or for the Dancing.

Pete

26 minutes ago, PeteH said:

the days when I was a "poverty stricken" apprentice!☹️, Back then every penny saved was used to buy Fuel, (or beer!)

I'm no longer an apprentice but the rest of the statement still applies,except beer has been replaced by wine and/or whisk(e)y. 😉

• Like 1