Pete Lewis

1 hour ago, Iain T said:

Travelled to Brentwood Essex yesterday for yet another doctors appointment, the High Street was awash with large Merc SUVs and Range Rovers all with low profile 20 inch bling wheels taking their precious loads to school.

Didn't someone say the pandemic will change our actions and how we live....nah certainly not from what I saw yesterday! 

Iain 

I hope they had their headlight main beams blazing away. Over here in West London/Heathrow those cars only work if the headlights are burning holes in the cars in front.  Bloody Laser beams

Roger

There called Toorak Tractors over here, Toorak being the top snob suburb here in Melbourne. Rangies, Merc BMW Jag, Bentley and Aston 4WD on licorice strap tyres. Where we live we get all but the last two & school drop off and pick up in the village is the pits, and the mothers congregate in the upmarket local cafe after drop off so I can’t even get a peaceful coffee

Don’t know if it’s the boy racer brigade but BMW headlights appear the worst re dazzling you.

11 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

There called Toorak Tractors over here,

I live in a "Farming" comunity (largely) which is becoming more and more "urbanised" since we moved back here 20+years ago. Apart from what are known as the "Chelsea Tractors", which only ever get "off road" on the pavement outside the Hair Salon!, and come from less than 1/2 a mile (mostly) to the primary school, twice a day!.  We get a lot of the Modern BIG tractors, many are the size of an HGV!. The local "yummy mummies" have been bitching on Faceache, about them!, Why DO people move to the countryside to live and then want to change it? We`ve had compliants about the Animal Smells before to-day, and a guy who complained about the cockrell crowing to the council!. That made local T-V!.

Pete

I'm involved in rallying a little and often you hear of events being stopped or at least massive complaints about the noise - 99% of the time by people that have moved into the country from towns - not the only reason, but has had a massive effect on night rallying.

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

We`ve had compliants about the Animal Smells before to-day, and a guy who complained about the cockrell crowing to the council!. That made local T-V!.

I was with a local Police Sergeant when he was approached by a member of the public who complained about mud on the road. The Sergeant, an old white-haired mountain of a man, looked at the town-dweller and asked him in a really deep, growly voice: "What the f&&k did you move out here for then?'

35 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I was with a local Police Sergeant when he was approached by a member of the public who complained about mud on the road. The Sergeant, an old white-haired mountain of a man, looked at the town-dweller and asked him in a really deep, growly voice: "What the f&&k did you move out here for then?'

I have many relatives who are native Scots, they are firmly of the opinion that farmers are the worst despoilers of the country side. Mud on the roads is a particular sin, it's dangerous and frequently caused by negligence. Any Plod who came out with that would find himself explaining his attitude to his Superintendent. 

Doug

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Any Plod who came out with that would find himself explaining his attitude to his Superintendent. 

Doug

The Sergeant is retired almost fifteen years now, still a great friend, lives not far from me, and famously pelted a Superintendant with soft drinks cartons - full ones - in a complaint about the inadequacy of meal packs provided to his men during protracted riot duty. He could stand up for himself.

Now people can go the their second homes we've seen more of the 'Chelsey Tractor' brigade (Grockles) down here in South Devon. Huge tanks of a vehicle, takes up must of the lane and they've no idea how to reverse. And its going to get worse with people staying in the UK for summer holidays.

Son-in-law is a agricultural contractor. Meet him in a lane with a combine harvester and expect him to reverse !!. He's been known to get out and reverse the car for them.

10 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I'm involved in rallying a little and often you hear of events being stopped or at least massive complaints about the noise - 99% of the time by people that have moved into the country from towns - not the only reason, but has had a massive effect on night rallying.

I have been involved in the organisation of the Corbeau Seats Rally near me ( the first stage rally on the public highway) and the complaints have been terrible at times. Roads are close down for 3 2 hours periods during the day. You would think they were being imprisoned for 29 years with no parole judging by what's is said! but they don't complain when the road outside their house is closed for weeks for road repairs. 

Doing 12 car rallies I have been threatened with all sorts of things, culminating with a guy pulling a gun on us Year before last for driving along "his road".

I had someone in the Welsh boarders make me backup the other year - uphill and around a bend about 100yards . And I was in a loaned 7 seat Vauxhall thing with 6 on board - they had a small car with an opening just by them. 

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I had someone in the Welsh boarders make me backup the other year - uphill and around a bend about 100yards . And I was in a loaned 7 seat Vauxhall thing with 6 on board - they had a small car with an opening just by them. 

You are to forgiving Mark, i'm afraid i would have turned my engine off dash cam on and sat there. You normally get thay behaviour in North Wales but not that often these days.

Tony.

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Grockles, that's a word I haven't heard for decades, not since wifey worked from time to time at the theatre in Exeter.

"Emotts" in Cornwall, If I remember correctly?.

I worked Exeter back in the 80`s. And the rest of the long arm down to lands end!. The lands End Cafe had a Tea Boiler, that was classed as a cat 1 steam. annual 2 part examination!.

Pete

"Emmets", Pete!

As for the Royal Devon & Exeter, I worked there in the late 70s.   When I arrived I was introduced to the senior ODP's both heavily tattooed ex-naval types, who greeted me as "My luvurr"!!!   I was only there another day to learn that was the standard 'Goodday" for Exeter!

7 hours ago, JohnD said:

"Emmets", Pete!

As for the Royal Devon & Exeter, I worked there in the late 70s.   When I arrived I was introduced to the senior ODP's both heavily tattooed ex-naval types, who greeted me as "My luvurr"!!!   I was only there another day to learn that was the standard 'Goodday" for Exeter!

Mrs, Had her Complex Hip Reconstruction done in the Princess Elizabeth Centre. At that time it was experimental and amongst earliest succesful use of "donor" bone.

Pete

12 hours ago, poppyman said:

You are to forgiving Mark, i'm afraid i would have turned my engine off dash cam on and sat there. You normally get thay behaviour in North Wales but not that often these days.

Tony.

Some friends in North Wales, who live a couple of miles in to a narrow road, tell of a local community bus driver, who, when confronted by a driver who would not budge, locked up and went and had a cup of tea at a nearby farm.  Blocking car had gone when he returned.

A few years ago robbers entered a bank in a small town.

One of them shouted: "Don't move! The money belongs to the bank. Your lives belong to you.”

Immediately all the people in the bank laid on the floor quietly and without panic.

This is an example of how the correct wording of a sentence can make everyone change their view of the world.

While running from the bank the youngest robber (who had a college degree) said to the oldest robber (who had barely finished elementary school): "Hey, maybe we should count how much we stole." ?

The older man replied: "Don’t be stupid. It's a lot of money so let's wait for the news on TV to find out how much money was taken from the bank."

This is an example of how life experience is more important than a degree.

After the robbery, the manager of the bank said to his accountant:

"Let's call the cops and tell them how much has been stolen."

"Wait”, said the Accountant, "before we do that, let's add the $800,000 we took for ourselves a few months ago and just say that it was stolen as part of today’s robbery."

This is an example of taking advantage of an opportunity.

The following day it was reported in the news that the bank was robbed of $ 3 million.

The robbers counted the money, but they found only $1 million so they started to grumble.

"We risked our lives for $1 million, while the bank's management robbed two million dollars without blinking? Maybe its better to learn how to work the system, instead of being a simple robber."

This is an example of how knowledge can be more useful than power.

Moral:Give a person a gun, and he can rob a bank . Give a person a bank, and he can rob everyone.